KSM Problems with Proxmox 1.8

L

leftcase

Hi there,

I have recently installed Proxmox and upgraded to the 2.6.35-1-pve kernel.

I'm currently running 5 Windows XP KVM virtual machines, each with 512MB of RAM assigned, on a physical host which reports 3.85GB of Physical memory. Currently it reports 2.97GB in use.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get KSM working properly.

pveversion shows:
Code:
pve-manager: 1.8-18 (pve-manager/1.8/6070)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-11
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-11
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.27-1pve1
vzdump: 1.2-13
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.1-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

But cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run always shows 0.

I've tried echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run - but the value of run seems to change automatically back to 0 again after a short while.

/etc/init.d/ksmtuned status reports

Code:
KSM control daemon is running..

Can anyone give me any tips on what to do next?

Thanks,

Chris

Ah, KSM just seemed to enable itself.

Strangely, it didn't come on until I literally maxed out the physical memory though!

That's interesting, because it didn't seem to enable itself on my machine until I'd used around 80% of available physical memory.

It's running quite nicely now however, with 5 Windows XP guests each with 1GB of RAM using only 3-4GB of physical RAM on the host (and that's including memory used by Promox itself). Nice! :cool: It slows a little when rebooting guests, but I guess this is because KSM is reallocating memory pages amongst remaining hosts and the reallocating them again when it comes back up.

Chris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!