kernel sources: how to get and recompile for using nvidia-2D-graphics?

I need to use or optimize graphical output in my virtual Linux maschines.

I have proxmox 0.9 running on an ASUS P5K Deluxe mainboard (highly linux-compatible) with 8096 MB RAM on an Intel Quad Core Q6700
and 2 x 500 GB SATA II discs. My Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT - to be able to use it for simple 2D-graphics output, I need to get the correct linux-sources and headers and recompile the kernel.

Within a suse-11.0_64.-bit-KVM-Maschine the graphics card shows up as a
"Cirrus Logic GD 5446" and I have always 2 Cursors running beside each other. The output is not really satisfying, I tried to enhance the resolution to 1152x864, but It didn_'t work.
So 2 problems here: 2 cursors - and a stiff resolution of 1024x768.
In Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 i found the same: a "Cirrus logic 5446 compatible"-card;here it works like a charm ... why?
In the Debian-Open-VZ-standard-appliance offered by proxmox on theier websites, no graphics is configured. How to do this?

I've already downloaded the following files from proxmox, kernel.org and nvidia:
pve-kernel-2.6.24-2.tar.gz
pve-kernel-2.6.24_2.6.24-2_amd64.deb
kernel-2.6.24.tar.bz2
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.05-pkg2.run
nvidia-xconfi-1.0.tar.gz

So, how to use these files for recompiling the kernel of proxmox 0.9 ?

I have proxmox 0.9 running on an ASUS P5K Deluxe mainboard (highly linux-compatible) with 8096 MB RAM on an Intel Quad Core Q6700
and 2 x 500 GB SATA II discs. My Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT - to be able to use it for simple 2D-graphics output, I need to get the correct linux-sources and headers and recompile the kernel.

why?

Within a suse-11.0_64.-bit-KVM-Maschine the graphics card shows up as a
"Cirrus Logic GD 5446" and I have always 2 Cursors running beside each other. The output is not really satisfying, I tried to enhance the resolution to 1152x864, but It didn_'t work.
So 2 problems here: 2 cursors - and a stiff resolution of 1024x768.
In Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 i found the same: a "Cirrus logic 5446 compatible"-card;here it works like a charm ... why?

because mouse cursor is positioned using a usb tablet device. You need to load a driver for that if you only want only one cursor (automatically loaded on windows)

In the Debian-Open-VZ-standard-appliance offered by proxmox on theier websites, no graphics is configured. How to do this?

All appliances are controlled via web interface - so why do you want to simulate a graphics card?

- Dietmar

I only want to work within a linux desktop and resizable resolutions.
And this with some other distros as well.
If I can achieve that with loading the appropriate driver for a "usb tablet device" then I prefer this to recompiling the proxmox-kernel.
But how to do it? (And Why is my "detected graphics card" a "Cirrus logic GD 5446")

Could You please tell me the steps to take ?
And one question more: what is the general syntax for opening VNC-Sessions to a proxmox-vm directly with a VNC-Client on a different hardware-pc within a common LAN (i.e without a browser)?

I only want to work within a linux desktop and resizable resolutions.
And this with some other distros as well.
If I can achieve that with loading the appropriate driver for a "usb tablet device" then I prefer this to recompiling the proxmox-kernel.
But how to do it? (And Why is my "detected graphics card" a "Cirrus logic GD 5446")

The GD 5446 is a 'virtual' graphic card (emulated). Virtual machines do not have access to physical graphic cards.

Could You please tell me the steps to take ?
And one question more: what is the general syntax for opening VNC-Sessions to a proxmox-vm directly with a VNC-Client on a different hardware-pc within a common LAN (i.e without a browser)?

You do not want to work that way at all. For windows, you can use RDB to access the guest (instead of vnc), and for linux it is best to install an VNC server inside the guest - you can find some hits here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/X_inside_VE

hi,

I just installed Opensuse 11 on Proxmox VE (KVM) to see whats going on.

Mouse issue:
- go to the Suse Yast and change the mouse to vmware/vmmouse

Resolution:
- go to the Suse Yast and configure: I succeeded in 1024x768

On Ubuntu 8.04, the mouse and graphic (for me on 1280x800) works immediately without any adaptions, so I suggest you play around on your suse system - maybe you can post your settings here if you succeed.

Remote via VNC:
Opensuse includes a VNC server, so you just have to enable this Remote Administration feature with a few clicks inside your suse

thanks for the vmware-vmmouse tip - it worked well.

I will work on this resolution issue at the end of this week - thanks for the tips up to know, to you TOM and You Dietmar. :)
I hope you keep your good spirit, even when peolpe ask similiar questions again and again - I hope to participate and help in this forum as well.

Looking forward to the new upcoming version 1.0 (I read somewhere here that full speed paravirtualized disks are to be expected)
yatri

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!