kernel panic - not syncing:VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block

Kaman

May 23, 2022
I recently upgraded my PVE clusters to 6.5.11 and 2 of the machines failed to boot afterwards (due to my failing to watch out of the errors during the upgrade). I was able to bring one of them back by loading a previous version of kernel and then applied grub-efi-amd64:
apt install grub-efi-amd64 update-initramfs -u -k 6.5.11-4-pve update-grub reboot

But for the other, no luck because I can't get into the grub boot menu. I've tried many options including following this link, https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

The temporary work around for 8.x didn't work so can't apply the permanent fix.

I've also tried booting from legacy bios instead of UEFI. In fact that is how I know what the error is. Booting from UEFI simply stops at:
Booting a command list
Loading Linux 6.5.11-4-pve ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

And nothing else. But booting from Legacy (directly pointing to the disk), then I can see the linux booting which ends with the error in the title.

I even tried the General advice section from the above link (using grml instead of PVE Installation CD) and not luck there either.

Please help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!