Kernel crashes randomly when passthru 7840HS iGPU to win11 guest

jerrita

Feb 8, 2024
Hi there, I have a 7840HS machine and installed PVE 8.1 latest with the kernel 6.5.11-8-pve.

But every time the windows guest boots, the host will crash and reboot randomly. I can't get more information cause when I enabling `kdump-tools`, it will crash definitely and even don't reboot thus I can get nothing from `/var/log/crash`. The only useful information is the following dmesg during each time the win11 boot.

logs: https://sc.ka5umi.eu.org/HKd5s

I think it may be fixed by linux 6.7+, while I cannot find some useful information for kernel build with the latest linux kernel. I tried using `Ubuntu-6.7.0-3.3` from the official ubuntu and `zfs-2.2.3-staging` from pkg-zfs. After that, simply use:

Code:
cp build/fwlist-6.7.2-1-pve.sorted build/fwlist-previous
cp build/fwlist-previous fwlist-previous

And it will stub at `Begin: Waiting for root file system` and I give up.

Any idea for this circumstance? Or I want to get help for a tutorial for building the latest linux package which PVE can use, thx!

Reactions: MiKing233
I tried the flags and set the kvm ignore_msrs:
Code:
cpu-model: myhost
    flags -hypervisor;-tsc_adjust
    phys-bits host
    hv-vendor-id proxmox
    reported-model host

But not working for me. And the panic information only presents when I passthru my iGPU to it, otherwise it will run normally and steadily.

Specifically, the crashes happens on my launching vulkan apps frequently, so I'm confused.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!