Kernel 6.5.13-1 won't boot - black screen

Bubbagump210

Oct 1, 2020
I just updated a Dell T340 from PVE7 to 8. I went through all the pve7to8 --full checks and simply followed the documented procedure. I also installed systemd-boot per the docs as I am indeed running UEFI on ZFS. I can still boot into 5.15.143-1. pve7to8 --full still shows as clean with the exception of complaining about the kernel version. I am using systemd to boot as opposed to grub.

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
6AD3-4B0C is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.15.143-1-pve, 6.5.13-1-pve)
7FAB-AB64 is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.15.143-1-pve, 6.5.13-1-pve)

This shows that the kernel is available to boot.

What debugging can be done to see where the hang up is? For what it is worth, this machine has an Nvidia P400 on driver 550.54.14 which compiled the DKMS fine when 6.5.13-1 was installing. I confirmed this by running 'apt reinstall proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-1-pve-signed' and indeed it did compile the DKMS with no errors. PCI passthrough is being used thus IOMMU is enabled.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to debug this and see where it is failing as syslog and kern shows nothing.

EDIT: Also, when I edit the kernel parameters in systemd-boot by pressing 'e' and removing 'quiet' I get "EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option" and no other output.

Last edited:
Nvidia P400 on driver 550.54.14 which compiled the DKMS fine when 6.5.13-1 was installing.

Need to blacklist the "builtin" kernel drivers for NVIDIA GPU:

Code:
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist nouveau

Code:
$> update-initramfs -c -d -u
$> update-grub

REBOOT

Those modules are already blacklisted (and have been for ages) along with ‘options nouveau modeset=0’. I would expect 6.2 or 5.15 to have failed ages ago had these modules been loaded along with the Nvidia driver.

Also I’m using systemd-boot so the grub commands wouldn’t apply.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!