Kernel 5.15 on PVE 8

_seb_

May 12, 2022
Hello,

Is it possible to use and install a 5.15 kernel with Proxmox 8.0.3 (Linux 6.2.16-3-pve) ?

I seem to have understood and read that kernel 5.15 is much more stable than version 6.2.X under Proxmox.

Thanks

You can use Proxmox 7.x. It's still on 5.15 and an upgrade to 6.2 is optional, but running an older kernel on pve8 is unsupported and untested.
Be aware though that support ends 2024-07.

You can install it manually from proxmox site if you need it, but as Folke said it is soon to be unsupported

Thanks for the answers !

What do you recommend doing ? Stay in version 6.2.16-3-pve or migrate to another Kernel 6.X ?

...Or go back to version 7 ?

Reactions: birdy
You can use it for now. I have had to stick with the 5.15 kernel on 2 of my nodes after updating to pve 8 because the Linux Kernel 6.* has a bad intel module for x553 sfp+ so my networking dies on both of those.

OK ! I just installed proxmox-kernel-6.5.3-1 => proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.3-1-pve

I quickly browsed the forum and it really seems more stable than 6.2.

Does anyone have an idea of the date on the pve-no-subscription repository for kernel-6.5.3-1 ?

Does anyone have an idea of the date on the pve-no-subscription repository for kernel-6.5.3-1 ?
Up to the proxmox devs, but shouldn’t be too much longer. Historically they always pin a post at the top of this forum stating the new kernel is available in the pve-no-subscription repository (or just change the notification post regarding the Test repository availability) so more folks can jump in and try it out prior to making it the default or releasing it to the enterprise repository.

Hi.
How is the 6.5 for AMD processors ?
I have two servers in test. proxmox 7 and proxmox 8. The 5.15 kernel is working stable on AMD, but 6.2.16-12-pve (on proxmox 8) stop sometimes.
I try to let more stable make some configurations like here (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Ryzen), but no success.
I have other server, a proxmox backup server using 6.2 too. Every 2-3 days stop working.

Hi!
I have the same issue. Random -- Reboot --

Next step I will test kernel 5.15 ...

48 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version

Linux 6.5.11-6-pve (2023-11-29T08:32Z)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!