Jellyfin LXC - How to add a USB hard drive

Hamlet

May 6, 2024
Greetings to all from France!
I am a total beginner in the adventure of homelab and virtualization.
I thus hope I will benefit from your understanding and patience given my lack of knowledge.

1) Objective : I want to create a media center (Jellyfin) which can access media (movies etc.) on an external USB HDD.

2) Problem : I am not able to get Jellyfin to detect the media folders on said USB HDD.

3) Configuration :
  • Mini PC with Proxmox, and a 4To WD USD external hard drive connected.
  • Jellyfin as LXC (using the "ttech" script), it is privileged.

I have been trying hard since 2 days to read tutorials, watch videos, and of course related question on this forum. Especially related to the concept of "bind mount". But unfortunately I cannot grasp the proper protocol and I fear I will end up messing my configuration and .conf files

As maybe a (wrong) alternative, I also installed an OpenMediaVault VM, in which I was able to passthrough the USB hard drive and set up shared NFS and SMB folders. I was not able to make them visible in the Jellyfin LXC.

I tried to gather information but I admit I am easily overwhelmed due to my poor knowledge.
Could you kindly explain me which steps I missed ?

Many thanks in advance for your help and patience,
Hamlet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!