Issues with Keyboard Input on the Proxmox 7.4-3 Console Tab

Lonnie

Sep 16, 2014
Dear Proxmox Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to report an issue I have encountered while using Proxmox VE 7.4-3. The problem is specific to keyboard input when using the "Console" tab on a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine.

This retired VM contains a virus, so I needed to log into it without a network connection. However, when I tried to input my password, which includes a special symbol (requiring holding down the shift key and pressing a number), the system repeatedly failed to authenticate my login.

I initially attributed this to a potential memory lapse, as the password is one I'm very familiar with. However, I was eventually able to log in using the on-screen keyboard in Windows, suggesting that the "Console" tab was improperly handling or transmitting my keypresses.

Further complicating matters, I found that I was unable to copy the password from my local text editor and paste it into the VM.

While I'm aware of the SPICE add-ons that are designed to resolve this sort of issue, installing these isn't a practical solution in my situation. Due to the keyboard input issue, I can't install these add-ons without first being able to log in to the VM. Additionally, my past experience with these add-ons has led to other complications, making them less than ideal.

I can also envisage a potentially more dire scenario where a user, due to this faulty keyboard translation, consciously resets their password. The inadvertent consequence of this action could result in an admin password being set to something other than what they intended, thereby restricting their access solely to a noVNC console exhibiting the same flaws.

I would appreciate it if this keyboard input issue could be addressed in the default Proxmox configuration to prevent such situations from arising.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please let me know if you need additional information or if there are any potential solutions I could try.

Best regards,

Lonnie

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!