Issues using pvse

Mar 27, 2024
Hello I am having some issues.

I have several nodes in a cluster that I want local encrypted zfs pools for storage but I can't add the pools using the same name on different proxmox nodes, so I can't easily migrate between encryped zfs pools.

Steps to reproduce:
#1. Create the base disk in the gui
Select Node>Disks>ZFS>Create:ZFS up at top

Use RAID Level: Mirror
compression: on
ashift: 12
name:db
select the two disks
Click Create

2. Open shell and input commands:
## Create encrypted drive
zfs create db/safe -o encryption=on -o keyformat=passphrase
## Enter in password for encrypted drive twice

## Add that zfs pool to proxmox
pvesm add zfspool db_safe -pool db/safe --nodes proxmox1 #(node name)

This all works fine but when I try to do
pvesm add zfspool db_safe -pool db/safe --nodes proxmox2

I get the following error:
"create storage failed: storage ID 'db_safe' already defined"

Alternatively I can name each zfspool db_safe1, db_safe2, etc but then I can't migrate a vm between proxmox1 and proxmox2 (with the vm stopped) because db_safe1 is only on proxmox1 and db_safe2 is only on proxmox2

I looked at the pvesm options but I couldn't find anything that was helpful to me other than the "--nodes" flag.
other zfs pools I create in the gui all have the same name between proxmox servers and migrate easily.

I am happy to use some other strategy to get this working as I don't really need or want the base unencrypted "db" zfs pool.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!