[SOLVED] Issues converting VirtualBox VM to Proxmox

scilent

Aug 16, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm facing a challenge with running a VirtualBox VM in Proxmox, and I'm hoping to get some guidance.
I've gone through related threads and followed the guide on pve.proxmox.com/wiki, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any answers to my problem.

To give you some context, I initially had a .vmdk file exported from VirtualBox. I converted it to qcow2 file using the following command:

Code:
$ qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O qcow2 /home/newVM/PG2_1.vmdk /home/newVM/PG3_1.qcow2

The conversion was successful. Next, I created a new VM using the "Create VM" button. I removed the Hard Disk and then imported the .qcow2 file using the command:

Code:
$ qm importdisk 100 /home/newVM/PG3_1.qcow2 scadaLV-dir

I encountered no issues, and I can see the disk listed in the scadaLV-dir storage under the 'VM Disks' tab.
A detached disk also appeared in the Hardware section of the VM, so I went ahead and attached it.
Here's what the VM configuration looks like at the moment:

Code:
$ qm config 100
bios: seabio
boot: order=ide2;ide0;net0
cores: 2
ide0: scadaLV-dir:100/vm-100-disk-0.raw,size=500G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-i440fx-7.2
memory: 4096
meta: creation-eqmu=7.2.0,ctime=1691748860
name: testPG3
net0: e1000=9E:EE:9A:3F:BD:5C,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=aa0fabc7-052f-4594-8eb0-77c760c6e246
sockets: 1
vmgenid: b7d6a1ad-204c-4a9f-b099-83296588d59e

However, when starting the VM, something isn't right - the RAM memory is extremely low at only 0.35%, while the CPU fluctuates from 0% to 50%.
Furthermore, noVNC returns the error message "failed to connect to the server."

I tried setting bios to OVMF, with the only difference being a slightly higher RAM usage at 7% and CPU running at 70%.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
ide0: scadaLV-dir:100/vm-100-disk-0.raw,size=500G
The IDE Bus is slow, and it may cause the performance issue. I would change it to SCSI instead.

EDIT: to do that, you can go to the Hardware and first detach it and then add the detached disk as SCSI.

The IDE Bus is slow, and it may cause the performance issue. I would change it to SCSI instead.

EDIT: to do that, you can go to the Hardware and first detach it and then add the detached disk as SCSI.

Thank you for your response. I followed your suggestion and re-attached the disk using the SCSI bus. This led in a change of memory usage - now over 80%.
However, noVNC still remains unresponsive as VE does not boot.

I'm starting to suspect that the issue might originate from the source image.
I re-tried the disk import with a slightly modified command: I added the optional --format parameter, without luck:
Code:
qm importdisk 100 /home/newVM/PG3_1.qcow2 scadaLV-dir --format qcow2

I have two VM images so it's unlikely that both are corrupted, but I'm going to run the same process with a new image to see if corruption is the root cause.

Hi Moayad,

Thanks for your reply.

The ultimate solution is the code below that I need to run every time I add a new VM:

Code:
pvecm updatecerts -F

Code:
systemctl restart pvedaemon pveproxy

Solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!