ISO Install vs Install on fresh Debian Wheezy ???????????

Netizen

Aug 16, 2012
Hello,

I have a new server in Hetzner datacenter. After several trial and errors (especialy due to IPv6 presense during the setup) I have managed to have a Proxmox 3.0 enviroment. I am not however 100% sure if this is the proper way to move forward (and load the server with VMs) because I don't know the differences between the ISO installer and the install process described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

Unfortunately if I want to use the ISO installer I need to pay extra to the DC staff which is ok... but is it really worth considering the data below?
People from Proxmox please advise.

Thank you.

PS The system has 2x SAS and 2xSATA disks on HW Raid1

/etc/fstab
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1 during Installation (RescueSystem)
UUID=d2aa0266-4a23-4cd2-861e-0a900fc7f17c /boot ext3 defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda2 belongs to LVM volume group 'vg0'
/dev/vg0/root / ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/vg0/swap swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/vg0/data /vz ext3 defaults 0 0

----

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 3.0-20 (pve-manager/3.0/0428106c)
running kernel: 2.6.32-20-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.0-100
pve-kernel-2.6.32-20-pve: 2.6.32-100
lvm2: 2.02.95-pve3
clvm: 2.02.95-pve3
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.0-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-4
qemu-server: 3.0-15
pve-firmware: 1.0-22
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-4
libpve-access-control: 3.0-4
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-6
vncterm: 1.1-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve3
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-12
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

----

pveperf (idle server, no VMs)
CPU BOGOMIPS: 80205.48
REGEX/SECOND: 1444967
HD SIZE: 19.84 GB (/dev/mapper/vg0-root)
BUFFERED READS: 267.25 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 3.40 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 2942.97
DNS EXT: 58.28 ms

----

mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=3082357,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=2467816k,mode=755)
/dev/mapper/vg0-root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=4935620k)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg0-data on /vz type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/fuse on /etc/pve type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
none on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
beancounter on /proc/vz/beancounter type cgroup (rw,relatime,blkio,name=beancounter)
container on /proc/vz/container type cgroup (rw,relatime,freezer,devices,name=container)
fairsched on /proc/vz/fairsched type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuacct,cpu,cpuset,name=fairsched)

----

pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda2 vg0 lvm2 a-- 278.48g 496.00m
/dev/sdb1 lvm2 a-- 1.36t 1.36t NOT YET USED/CONFIGURED

----

vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
vg0 1 3 0 wz--n- 278.48g 496.00m

----

lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Move Log Copy% Convert
data vg0 -wi-ao-- 252.00g
root vg0 -wi-ao-- 20.00g
swap vg0 -wi-ao-- 6.00g

------------------

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a new server in Hetzner datacenter. After several trial and errors (especialy due to IPv6 presense during the setup) I have managed to have a Proxmox 3.0 enviroment. I am not however 100% sure if this is the proper way to move forward (and load the server with VMs) because I don't know the differences between the ISO installer and the install process described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy
Hi,
if you know what you are doing, the wheezy installation is comparable to the iso-installation.

The iso-installation take care of the right configuration (lvm, packets) and is the best way for user with less experiences. And IMHO you can't get support for an wheezy-installion.

Udo

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate the fact that support will not be available. Understood.

since 3.0, we commercially support installations from Wheezy (but still no mdraid).

Allow me to rephrase my question though: Is the instructions link ( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_..._Debian_Wheezy ) enough to do all the ISO would do or there are more bits missing??

the wiki page should tell you all. if anything is missing, everybody can add it.

Thank you Tom, much appreciated.

Would you say that the above given satus of the system looks like a healthy system (in terms of initial setup) ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!