Is running pve inside openvz possible?

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
It just came to my mind, maybe it is a stupid question, but is it possible? I know I can install pve in kvm guest, and I did it a few times for testing, but since pve over wheezy is supported, is it tecnically possible install pve over openvz debian container, and if not why, what is missing or incompatible? Just to know.

Thanks,
Marco

Last edited:
this seems to be problematic indeed. I was able to get fuse into the container, but don't know how to fix/bypass these:

Code:
Setting up lvm2 (2.02.98-pve4) ...
[....] Setting up LVM Volume Groups...  /proc/misc: fopen failed: No such file or directory
  Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
  No volume groups found
  /proc/misc: fopen failed: No such file or directory
  Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
  No volume groups found
done.

Code:
ERROR: could not insert 'vzevent': Operation not permitted
Checking vzevent kernel module .....failed
Starting OpenVZ: failed to load module vzmon..failed

so basically it's trying to reach certain kernel modules that openvz does not propagate into the container (even though theyre obviously present on the host)

Last edited:
so basically it's trying to reach certain kernel modules that openvz does not propagate into the container (even though theyre obviously present on the host)

Yes, I think that also, and perhaps for a good reason :) called isolation.
But I wondered if there could be to run a nested pve in this way, or any other virt/container system, because it could have the best performances, of course.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!