Is it better to have a NAS VM or a simple NFS server for my media share for Plex Server in a Proxmox node?

heldmar

Nov 3, 2021
I am trying to architecture a Plex Media Server inside a Proxmox node, in a very modest way. I know I can set up a NAS to server my files through the network or I could create a very simple NFS VM with NFS sharing capabilities and map the folder to be mounted on the Plex Media Server container directly.

There is a lot more effort setting up the NAS than a simple NFS server, so what would be more benefitial and why? Keep in mind I do want to keep the Plex Media server in a container, I don't want to host the Plex inside the NAS itself.

Thoughts?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!