Is a mixed IPv4/IPv6 (not dualstack, but some cluster hosts IPv4, some v6) possible?

Jun 17, 2023
A very newbie question: I've got a purely v4 Proxmox cluster, and want to migrate it (the internal addressing used for corosync) to IPv6 as an end goal. Would it be possible to add a node with just a v6 address, and remove one v4 node, and so on?

Or can this be done with dual stack addressing, by adding v6 addresses to all nodes first?

The various renumbering the addressing instructions (editing corosync.conf, /etc/hosts, ... ) sound somewhat scary to me, if there is a workaround for the special case of changing from IPv4 to v6 adressing, I would be very happy. ;)

TIA
/ralph

Using dual-stack is better in such cases for failback in case of the problems.
If you want be to sure, you can create pve test cluster as VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!