Is a cluster still beneficial if you have a very lopsided configuration?

Jan 1, 2023
Portland, OR
I have a beefy machine I'm currently running Proxmox VE on (ThreadRipper Pro 3945WX, 512GB of RAM, 4TB of SSD storage), and I was wondering for homelab purposes if buying a pair of mini-PCs that are underpowered by comparison would still be beneficial, mostly for the purposes of how a proper cluster works, and getting to know Proxmox better.

Is it only worth the investment if they're comparably-powered machines? or would this still be a good idea?

Thanks.

if you just want to play around, you can also setup a virtual cluster by installing PVE in VMs and then clustering those (just don't join the host to that cluster ;)).

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!