IPv6 + reverse proxy

Oct 3, 2019
Hello,

I have several lxc containers with web applications on proxmox.
Container with apache passes 80/443 requests to containers and with ipv4 everything is ok.

Now, I would like to implement ipv6 for the containers while keeping ipv4.
I was able to set up GUAs for the containers (without NAT - directly to the VM), but I'm facing the problem, that I have to set up web server in each container to be able to access the web apps via ipv6. And moreover I have to manage both reverse proxy and all the web servers inside containers.

How can I implement ipv6 without the need of installing web server in each container and need of maintaining a lot of web servers?
I read that ULAs + NAT66 is a bad thing to do.

Are there best practices for such situations?

I guess it's more of a networking question than a question about proxmox. But I can't find any information on that topic and may be there are some things I have to consider when implementing ipv6 in proxmox.

Thank you very much for any suggestions in advance.

Sorry for the late reply.
And thank you very much. I was able to use nginx to proxy_pass requests from IPv6 GUA of the host to the IPv4 container addresses.

Hi,

I would use HA-Proxy instead of apache for redirecting the requests to the container.
HA-Proxy is made for this scenario.
But check out the Ha-proxy or NGNIX forum for this kind of setup.

1.) https://discourse.haproxy.org/
2.) https://forum.nginx.org/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!