Iptables configuration

olluz

May 9, 2020
Hi there,

is there anybody out there who's willing to share his/her Iptables configuration ? I've used ufw successfully until now, but ufw tends to get quite slow over time and I've decided to get rid of it.

I'm quite the newbie in iptables though and was hoping someone is willing to share their config ?

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just:
Block any incoming traffic except p:22 and p:8006 from a designated IP
Allow p:25 from anywhere and all outgoing traffic

Any recommendations or even example configurations are highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Udo,
thanks for the reply.
I'm using the Mail Gateway and afaik this option is not available.

thanks again and no worries.
Yes, I've tested it and it really does slow it down. After a few hundred entries it takes ages to add a new entry.
I'm planning to use Iptables for country blocking and I'm afraid this will just not be feasible with ufw. Which is a pitty, because ufw is pretty straightforward and easy to use compared to Iptables.

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB
thanks again and no worries.
Yes, I've tested it and it really does slow it down. After a few hundred entries it takes ages to add a new entry.
I'm planning to use Iptables for country blocking and I'm afraid this will just not be feasible with ufw. Which is a pitty, because ufw is pretty straightforward and easy to use compared to Iptables.
If you want to geo block with iptables you should see better performance with ipsets. I am not sure ufw does that for you. IIRC I used that approach with geoblocking on a consumer grade router years ago and it handled it ok.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!