IP/shadow/cluster/network questions

Lanlink

Jan 14, 2010
I've just bought and received two servers Dell 1950's, getting ready for Proxmox installs on both.

I'm not sure if its possible or not, but is it possible to set one master server which runs various environments full time, and one redundant server which is always shadowing the master?
I've seen the commands to make a cluster, but I'm not sure if that would do what I want. I'd like to setup a system whereby if the master fails, the shadow(s) kick in and takes over. At the start I'm going to keep both servers on my primary site, but later on I'll be moving the shadow server to another location.

In terms of IP address matching/configuration/user details, is that possible?

And without using a program like monowall to configure the servers ethernet card, can I just setup Proxmox on Eth1 to be attached to my local area network IP 192.168.0.XXX and also have a public IP 82.245.XXX.XX - so that all traffic & remote web interface is primarly going out over the public IP, and the private IP can be used for SSH or web interface?
For each contain/KVM setup, use the address 192.168.100.X?

Also could someone tell me how to add additional network cards to the servers please (i.e. commands needs)?

Thank you

I've just bought and received two servers Dell 1950's, getting ready for Proxmox installs on both.

I'm not sure if its possible or not, but is it possible to set one master server which runs various environments full time, and one redundant server which is always shadowing the master?
You are asking for ha - this feature is at the roadmap for proxmox 2.0 - see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Also could someone tell me how to add additional network cards to the servers please (i.e. commands needs)?
The networkconfig will be done in /etc/network/interfaces

If you want several networks also for the clients, you should define the network (eth1...) without ip-address and define vmbr1... with this interfaces.
If you have more networks than nics than you can also use vlan-tagging if your switch support this.

Search in this forum for vmbr and interfaces, i'm sure, you will find some examples.

Udo

You are asking for ha - this feature is at the roadmap for proxmox 2.0 - see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

The networkconfig will be done in /etc/network/interfaces

If you want several networks also for the clients, you should define the network (eth1...) without ip-address and define vmbr1... with this interfaces.
If you have more networks than nics than you can also use vlan-tagging if your switch support this.

Search in this forum for vmbr and interfaces, i'm sure, you will find some examples.

Udo

Thanks for your reply.

Is there anything at the moment that will work with containers, because that roadmap only states KVM's.

I'll give the networking item a go to see how I get along - I've got two ports on the mainboard and another two ports on the PCI card to map out.

I've tried going to that address on the Server itself and via terminal in OSX but I'm getting the message

lanlink:~# /etc/network/interfaces
-bash: /etc/network/interfaces: Permission denied

I've logged in as root, so why would this message occur?

Also could you tell me commands needed to change lan cards/ports to eth1 and eth2.

Thank you.

Ah I figure out the issue with the permission : ~# vim /etc/network/interfaces

But I'm not sure how to save the file once I've put the information in there. Could you tell me how I'd do that.

Thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!