[SOLVED] invalid arch-independent ELF magic

celsoannes

Nov 27, 2023
After a power outage, Proxmox no longer boots up, it only displays this message:

Code:
error: invalid arch-independent ELF magic
grub rescue>

It's not a problem with the date and time
I've already checked, and it's correct. I'm running it on an HP ML310e Gen8, and this version doesn't support UEFI. Nevertheless, I double-checked the BIOS just to be sure.

I had Proxmox 8 installed. I tried using the image in the advanced options to recover the boot, but at the moment it starts the process, it freezes.
I tried using a live CD with Ubuntu to use boot-repair, but during the process, it says that I'm using a compatible BIOS and that I should enable UEFI for it to work.

I would be happy if someone knew what to do or had any tips on what to do.

I don't think I'll be able to get Proxmox up and running again, so I'm considering the option of reinstalling it.

If I install Proxmox on another hard drive, can I retrieve the VMs and Docker instances that were running on the non-starting hard drive?

Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this?
Or even guide me on how to retrieve the files that were running in that VM.

I managed to get the server up and running again.
I tried several things until I found the solution that made my machine work again.
Some of the commands came from the Proxmox wiki: Recover From Grub Failure

Boot Proxmox VE in debug mode, or the Ubuntu/Debian off the ISO. We do not want to install Ubuntu/Debian, just run it live off the ISO/DVD.

I used Debian 12 live.

First We need to activate LVM and mount the the root partition that is inside the LVM container.

• sudo vgscan
  • sudo vgchange -ay
Mount all the filesystems that are already there so we can upgrade/install grub. Your paths may vary depending on your drive configuration.

• sudo mkdir /media/RESCUE
  • sudo mount /dev/pve/root /media/RESCUE/
  • sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/RESCUE/boot (This part gives an error. Ignore it)

Code:
user@debian:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/RESCUE/boot
mount: /media/RESCUE/boot: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
  • sudo mount -t proc proc /media/RESCUE/proc
  • sudo mount -t sysfs sys /media/RESCUE/sys
  • sudo mount -o bind /dev /media/RESCUE/dev
  • sudo mount -o bind /run /media/RESCUE/run
Chroot into your proxmox install.

• chroot /media/RESCUE
Then update grub and install it.
  • update-grub
  • grub-install /dev/sda
I am using an old second-hand machine, an HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8, which does not support UEFI, and that seems to be the entire reason for the problem. So, initially, I removed the scripts related to EFI.

Code:
sudo mv /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot.backup

So, I ran the following commands:
  • update-initramfs -t -u (This one may trigger an alert, but you can proceed with the other commands.)
  • grub-mkdevicemap
  • grub-mkconfig
  • update-grub
  • grub-install /dev/sda

If there are no error messages, you should be able to reboot now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!