Intermittent loss of connectivity - Open SSH connection still works?

mashedpotato

Jun 23, 2023
Hi guys, I'll try to keep it short. I've read a ton of posts on similar issues but found no solutions for my particular case, details below:

Running on a brand new Intel NUC, ProxMox VE, static IP 192.168.1.100/32, statically assigned in router as well, no complex network jiggery pokery in my home network, just a dumb switch straight to router, all other devices on the network are fine, and this same PC when running Win10 and Ubuntu had no issues like this.

SSH and Web UI work fine on a fresh boot and then after a random interval usually 10-30 minutes, will begin to intermittently drop. An already open SSH connection keeps working, so there's clearly network, but the host stops responding to pings, new SSH requests, and the web UI shows "Connection error". This persists for anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours, or until a reboot occurs and then it's fine for a few minutes until it happens again. While the host is "disconnected", my only container is still fully accessible, too.

I'm a bit of a noob with Linux, but given the simplicity of the setup I have and on a fresh install I'm pretty surprised by this issue and aside from the obvious, I'm not really sure where to begin troubleshooting as clearly it has network connectivity if my SSH session remains open.

Any ideas what to check?

Cheers.
Mash

I believe I have found the issue here, at least I've managed to go several hours without seeing it arise since making a change.

ProxMox IP changed from 192.168.1.100/32 to 24, as it appears 32 is an invalid mask when manually specifying a gateway. Hopefully this may help one other unlucky soul that makes a similar mistake.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!