Interface unreachable

Dennis-M

May 10, 2023
Hi,
I messed up my interface. After fiddling around (with certificates, but also opnsense) I found the gui unreachable: The connection has timed out
Console is available. I did some found checks, mostly my conclusion is: Console says all is ok.

Checked port availability, if certificates are available, http, ip binds, network card name change. All seems to be in order. Reboot does not help.

I there some way I can reset teh interface without having to re-install, as I'm so happy how my VM's are running (which they still are).

You can edit your "/etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/hosts" and "/etc/resolv.conf". Example for a default "/etc/network/interfaces" you will find here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge

To create a new certificate you can run pvecm updatecerts --force

set the interfaces back to default (removing the WAN interface). I don't see anything wrong with /etc/resolv.conf. or the host file.
Any other suggestions?

Hosts:

GNU nano 5.4 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.178.211 pve.xxxxx.xxx

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I was able to fix it.
Could you access the /etc/pve/node/yourserver folder and tell what files you have there?

I was able to fix it.
Could you access the /etc/pve/node/yourserver folder and tell what files you have there?

root@pve:/etc/pve/nodes/pve# ls -al
total 3
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 ..
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 83 May 11 18:15 lrm_status
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 lxc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 openvz
drwx------ 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 priv
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 1854 May 9 17:13 pveproxy-ssl.key
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 4262 May 9 17:13 pveproxy-ssl.pem
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 1679 May 9 17:47 pve-ssl.key
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 1712 May 11 00:29 pve-ssl.pem
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data 0 Apr 25 14:03 qemu-server

Last edited:
Can you check if the certificate pveproxy-ssl.pem and pveproxy-ssl.key match?
You can do it through the following website: https://www.dondominio.com/en/products/ssl/tools/ssl-checker/

If these two do not match, that is the problem.

You would have to generate a new certificate through the following command: pvecm updatecerts --force
Tnx, I did this before, but now I actual deleted the files first. now I can reach the page again.

It is going wrong when adding my personal certificate. It either crashes using the cabundle, or shows the wrong expiry.
But thanks for this hint. I can now play around

Reactions: mvargasadonis

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!