Interface not automatically UP after power on and replug

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
I installed Proxmox 6.3.
However, I notice the Ethernet interface is DOWN after powering on the hypervisor machine.
I have unplugged the cable sometimes, other times the Ethernet cable stayed plugged in.
I can easily change the interface status with
Bash:
ifup <interfaceName>
However, when I move the hypervisor machine to its storage location, there will be no monitor and keyboard plugged in.
How can I ensure the interface is UP or automatically change status to UP after I move the machine to storage, plug Ethernet in and power up?

you need to mark the interface as "auto" for it to be brought up on boot. if it doesn't come up even though it is set, please check the journal for errors related to bringing network interfaces up..

Reactions: eiger3970
Fixed.
I added line:
Bash:
auto <interfaceName>
Surprised the new Proxmox install does not have that line, unless I accidentally deleted it.
Possible, as I'm editing the file, as I haven't solved Wi-Fi PCIe NIC install on Proxmox or cabled Ethernet Internet from machine with Internet to Proxmox machine.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!