Intel X710-DA4 setup help

Mar 11, 2024
Greetings,

I have a Dell R740 which has a quad 10gb network daughter card that Proxmox is not recognizing. The card is a Dell 068M95 Intel X710-DA4 Quad-Port 10GB SFP+ Network Daughter Card.

Could someone offer some guidance as to how I can get this NIC working?

Thank in advance!

JB

Several things you can try:

1. Update firmware and/or BIOS, Dell lists the firmware for X710 at 22.5.7 and BIOS at 2.21.2
2. Turn off SR-IOV and/or PXE everywhere in the BIOS. Confirm NIC is not disabled in BIOS
3. Boot up SystemRescueCD and confirm /var/log/messages and/or 'dmesg' sees the NIC

I use the copper version of the X710, the quad X550 rNDC after enabling and updating server firmware with no issues.

Okay, the BOIS states this:

Integrated Network Card 1 => Enabled
SR-IOV Global Enable => Disabled
PXE Device1-4 => Disabled

Also 'dmesg' shows nothing about the X710.

I'm thinking this card may be dead?

JB

May have to do a full system reset.

Go into the Lifecycle controller via F10 and goto Hardware Configuration -> Re-purpose or Retire.

This may "unstuck" the rNDC.

After this, boot with Arch Linux and see what /var/log/messages and dmesg says.

Also check to see what the iDRAC web interface says at Hardware -> Networking.

jdancer, thanks.

I looked at idrac and the logs asked me to do a racadm racreset which I did. Now idrac gives me:
Critical Alert: The NDC is absent.

So I am assuming this card is dead. AND that it is NOT a Proxmox issue.

I'm in the process of obtaining a new NDC, and perhaps other NICS that will work.

I'll update here when I have more info.

JB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!