Integrate Proxmox VE and Ubuntu

K

klein128

hey guys,

Proxmox VE is a such powerful tool for virtualization,

I want to try to porting the Proxmox VE enviorment on the Ubuntu,

but I am very new to do, I downloaded the source code and read it,

can anyone give me some tips to do something like this ?

thanks a lot !!

I did that and it works!

• Installed a Ubuntu Server 9.10 64 Bit
  • Added the Proxmox Repos
  • Installed the Proxmomx Kernel and Packages
That's all.

This is really good news. as we prefer to run Ubuntu @ our office. the 3 new servers will be running Ubuntu then as a test.
Tnx :)

if you install Proxmox VE packages on Ubuntu you will probably run into issues - no one here supports this so do this only for fun but never if you need a stable and supported system.

I agree with tom, I only did that for fun and don't run any production VMs on this host.
There were a few issues with the package installation, but they could be resolved without troubles. And you have to manually create the bridge and the storage.

I don't see a reason to migrate PVE to Ubuntu.
PVE is a server "tool" and Debian is the best distribution for server installations. The reason for my little experiment with Ubuntu was to have a nice and updatet desktop around the nice proxmox tools. But a server doesn't need a desktop, or at least not a desktop like ubuntu with many tools like music player, openoffice... You will get good KDE or Gnome packages on Debian (but a little outdated versions).

We are running ubuntu server on all our servers , so would be nice with the same OS on all.

I think that using PVE on a debian (or Ubuntu) server is only useful for testing, for example my PC is a Lenny + PVE.
But for production servers, installing a minimal PVE from CD + some tools seems to me more secure...

"stable" doesn't mean the same thing for Debian and for Ubuntu ;)

but you're the master of your home ;)

just to mention, Ubuntu dropped OpenVZ in Lucid while Debian will support OpenVZ in Squeeze.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!