Installing VM from ISO on USB Flash

matthysdt

Jul 4, 2021
Hi all, I'm new to Proxmox.

I'm trying to install a VM from an ISO on a USB flash drive plugged into my physical server.

But I'm unable to register the device's NTFS partition as storage as I get the below error.

Here I mounted the drive

mounted.png

Getting this error:

StorageErr.PNG
I tried unmounting and remounting with -o umask=000 and I also tried chmod, but the device remains read-only.

1629656622264.png

I then copied the ISO file over to another storage location that I noticed was already mounted at /var/lib/vz as "local", but thie ISO doesn't show up in the drop down list when I create the VM.

1629656951643.png

1629656873149.png

1629656800882.png

I also mounted my NAS as a CIFS and placed the ISO in the correct directory, but got the same result as above, the ISO doesn't show up in the drop-down, eventhough the ISO file is definitely there.

Not sure where I'm going wrong, can it be that Windows11 isn't supported yet? I doubt since I get the same result if I choose the OS type as "other".

Some noob advice will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey,

copying the to file /var/lib/vz/template/iso/ should make it show up in the dropdown.

Adding the USB Device to the VM and not selecting an ISO when creating the VM should work.
1629791320539.png

Reactions: Cfgtech
I strongly recommend you to use a tool such as ventoy or easy2boot for the pendrive and boot your empty VM with it. This way you can install almost all operating systems via corresponding ISO on your usb drive.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!