Installing through wifi

DynaM

Jun 27, 2023
Hi all.
My ethernet cord is extremely short and very far from my PC. Is there anyway I can proceed with the installation through wifi instead of ethernet?
Thank you.

My ethernet cord is extremely short and very far from my PC. Is there anyway I can proceed with the installation through wifi instead of ethernet?
You do not need internet when running the installer from DVD or USB. WiFi is not supported by Proxmox but you can set it up yourself (after installation) using the Debian documentation (see other threads about WiFi on this forum).

Reactions: DynaM
Also always useful to know that NAT is required in case you also want to run some guests that can access the internet or LAN: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

I would highly recommend to spend a few bucks on a longer cat6e cable instead of wasting your time by working around problems Wifi is causing.

Last edited:
Also always useful to know that NAT is required in case you also want to run some guests that can access the internet or LAN: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

I would highly recommend to spend a few bucks on a longer cat6a cable instead of wasting your time by working around problems using Wifi is causing.
I guess you are right. But If I get a cable long enough to the PC, how will my router be connected? Or should I use one of the ports on the back of the router to go directly to the PC? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm very new to this.

You usually (without some fancy setups) connect your PVE server via cable to your router. And the other computer then either via wifi or cable to that router too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!