Installing from multiple CDs

snesreviews

Jul 7, 2008
Hi Guys,

I have worked around this in the past by merging CD releases into single DVD disks, but I'm wondering if there is a more graceful solution? I'm also hitting a bit of a stump here because the merged RHEL 2.1 release doesn't seem to work correctly...

The problem occurs when a distribution comes on multiple CDs. After finishing with the first disk (which works fine) and it gets ejected, it doesn't seem to recognise any other disks when they get replaced.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have worked around this in the past by merging CD releases into single DVD disks, but I'm wondering if there is a more graceful solution? I'm also hitting a bit of a stump here because the merged RHEL 2.1 release doesn't seem to work correctly...

The problem occurs when a distribution comes on multiple CDs. After finishing with the first disk (which works fine) and it gets ejected, it doesn't seem to recognise any other disks when they get replaced.

Thanks!

not yet. but i always use DVD´s. as I got no RHEL 2.1 here, what cd ISO´s can I use for reproducing the issue? I will also test this on the beta2 (currently under testing).

I remember that I had a similiar issue with the installation of a MS SBS 2003 . Maybe the big difference here is that the OS reboots after the first CD is succesfully installed. The fresh installed basic OS then asks for the new CDs.
That gave me the time to connect to a running samba server with a network share on which I supplied the other CDs.

Hi Tom,

I only tried this once so I can't guarantee I can reproduce it... however, I will try again with a CD CentOS distribution tomorrow and let you know what happens - if it is a problem, I should only need to burn the first two disks :).

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

I have the same problem when trying to install SLES9 from CD (no DVD in the server).

I'm running into the same problem trying to install Windows SBS.
Windows asks for the second cd. The ISO is on the server in the template directory but I cant switch.
In the hardware section od the virtual machine I selected the second CD but windows still only see the first ISO.
I hope I'm missing something here?

Thanks.

I'm running into the same problem trying to install Windows SBS.
Windows asks for the second cd. The ISO is on the server in the template directory but I cant switch.
In the hardware section od the virtual machine I selected the second CD but windows still only see the first ISO.
I hope I'm missing something here?

Thanks.

I do not remember exactly the installation steps, but after installing the 1st cd it should be possible to eject the first cd inside windows (just right click the CD and 'eject') and then you can apply the second ISO (via the Proxmox VE Hardware Tab) - now the new ISO should be accessable. This is working inside windows, but I am not sure if this is working during the SBS setup (I cannot try, my SBS installation media is a DVD containing all 5 CD´s).

Another hint: add a second CD-ROM to your KVM guest, containing the second ISO? maybe this could help also.

I do not remember exactly the installation steps, but after installing the 1st cd it should be possible to eject the first cd inside windows (just right click the CD and 'eject') and then you can apply the second ISO (via the Proxmox VE Hardware Tab) - now the new ISO should be accessable. This is working inside windows, but I am not sure if this is working during the SBS setup (I cannot try, my SBS installation media is a DVD containing all 5 CD´s).

Another hint: add a second CD-ROM to your KVM guest, containing the second ISO? maybe this could help also.

Hi Tom, the first idea works, thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!