Installation on Legacy BIOS, wont boot.

christopher_g

Mar 7, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm a new proxmox user/installer. I'm trying to install it on an older AMD64 machine that does not have SecureBoot/Fastboot/UEFI options in the BIOS. The installation finishes successfully and reboots but it fails to boot after that. I checked and double-checked the boot order and disabled everything but the HDD.
If I use the ISO to boot into Rescue Boot, it indeed comes up. I check /dev/sda1 and the BIOS boot partition is there. I tried reinstalling grub to /dev/sda1 and it completed but didn't help.

Any suggestions or actions I can take to get my old BIOS to recognize the partition?

Last time I installed Proxmox on an old system, I installed it on top of Debian but using that work-around might be a bit overkill as your system appears to be almost working.
Maybe the installer created a GPT instead of a MBR? What are the (whole) outputs of fdisk -l /dev/sda and gdisk -l /dev/sda?

Code:
root@pve:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 238.47 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Disk model: SAMSUNG MZ7TY256
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 14E75C33-7CC7-4756-AE96-9CCB794859C2

Device       Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sda1       34      2047      2014 1007K BIOS boot
/dev/sda2     2048   1050623   1048576  512M EFI System
/dev/sda3  1050624 500118158 499067535  238G Linux LVM
root@pve:~# gdisk -l /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sda: 500118192 sectors, 238.5 GiB
Model: SAMSUNG MZ7TY256
Sector size (logical/physical): 512/512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 14E75C33-7CC7-4756-AE96-9CCB794859C2
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 500118158
Partitions will be aligned on 2-sector boundaries
Total free space is 0 sectors (0 bytes)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              34            2047   1007.0 KiB  EF02 
   2            2048         1050623   512.0 MiB   EF00 
   3         1050624       500118158   238.0 GiB   8E00 
root@pve:~#

I had Debian on this system prior and yes, it worked with grub without issue.

According to the gp output your partition table if of the GPT type and your (old) system can probably only start from a MBR. Maybe this is a bug in the Proxmox installer but maybe it cannot detect whether the system is to old to boot from GPT.

I think it is possible to convert a GPT to MBR by running gdisk /dev/sda and type r to go into the recovery and transformation options (experts only) and then press g to convert GPT into MBR and exit. I have not done this before and it may mess things up completely or simply not work, but I think it is your best shot to make the system bootable.

Maybe someone else here know a better way or has more experience with this?

EDIT: I don't really understand why the system won't boot from the protective MBR, but I still think that a GPT won't work on an old system. Maybe a BIOS update can help? But there probably isn't a very recent one.

Last edited:
According to the gp output your partition table if of the GPT type and your (old) system can probably only start from a MBR. Maybe this is a bug in the Proxmox installer but maybe it cannot detect whether the system is to old to boot from GPT.

I think it is possible to convert a GPT to MBR by running gdisk /dev/sda and type r to go into the recovery and transformation options (experts only) and then press g to convert GPT into MBR and exit. I have not done this before and it may mess things up completely or simply not work, but I think it is your best shot to make the system bootable.

Maybe someone else here know a better way or has more experience with this?

EDIT: I don't really understand why the system won't boot from the protective MBR, but I still think that a GPT won't work on an old system. Maybe a BIOS update can help? But there probably isn't a very recent one.
Running the above at least booted me to grub_rescue, lol.

The BIOS is the latest possible version, I verified that.

Running the above at least booted me to grub_rescue, lol.
Sounds like the system is now able to boot from the drive. Maybe a guide for repairing GRUB can help you further? There are may ways (and examples on the internet and probably in this very forum) to boot from a LiveCD or the Proxmox installer and chroot into the system on the drive to re-ruin grub-install.

Last edited:
I think I fixed it?

I get a screen saying Volume group "pve" not found.
Happen to know what that is? After that -- it flashes and goes to my pve login.

Okay so for anyone else having this issue, boot into Rescue Boot or someother method to get at /dev/sda.
I deleted /dev/sda1, and /dev/sda2 using gdisk.
Following this, I created a partition from 2048 that is 512MB in size.
Convert everything using gdisk r, gdisk g, gdisk w.
Run: grub-install /dev/sda
Reboot.

Many thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Added rootdelay=2 to /boot/grub/grub.cfg seems to have fixed the Volume group "pve" not found issue.

I might be all set for now, thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!