Installation Goof-Up

E-Rod

Mar 23, 2021
United States
Good day to all.

I'm an IT manager who is extremely interested in trying out Proxmox before I deploy it in my business, and I'm spinning it up for the first time, and I have made a significant goof up in that I initially installed Proxmox on my RAID array of a Dell PowerEdge instead of the SSDs on my boss card. I re-installed Proxmox on the BOSS card, and now I have a giant LVM on my RAID rendering me unable to create VMs because I've used it all up. Is there a way to remove this LVM and get my array back without having to go into the controller, take it apart and reconfigure and re-initialize it? Thank you in advance, and please pardon my ignorance.

Why you don't use that LVM for your VMs? By default Proxmox should have setup most of that LVM to be a storage for VM virtual disks and container filesystems.

Well, my original vision was to have Proxmox running on the BOSS card and to use the RAID to store my VMs. I've got Proxmox running on the BOSS card now, and I assumed that the install on the RAID LVM would preclude me from running VMs created from the BOSS card install.

I'm guessing I'm incorrectly assuming that's the case? Or am I approaching the setup all wrong to begin with?

I'm quite new with virtualization, and I'm sure it's showing right about now. Thank you for your input.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!