Install to CF card

Mr.Embedded

Jul 8, 2008
Hi All,

I am interested in installing base Proxmox VE to a CF card and using either a network file system or local mirrored disk setup to hold the machine images. Can someone tell me how to go about this?

Hi All,

I am interested in installing base Proxmox VE to a CF card and using either a network file system or local mirrored disk setup to hold the machine images. Can someone tell me how to go about this?

the unique feature of Proxmox VE is that it delivers an easy to handle system including almost everything - so what is your idea just putting some parts to a CF - so to get a better understanding - what is your usage scenario?

I have been using embedded firewall appliances for quite some time such as pfsense and monowall and as Proxmox has web based configurator already, I am attracted to the idea of embedding it in a similar fashon. Basically install the images on the mountable media of your choice (fault tolerant or not, local or remote). So my idea was to get it installled to the CF in a ro filesystem , make a special rw partion on the CF or use a remote mounted rw file system to store the writeable configs and logs (or ramdisk) and finally point proxmox to the location of my vm image files. Am I making sense?

I have been using embedded firewall appliances for quite some time such as pfsense and monowall and as Proxmox has web based configurator already, I am attracted to the idea of embedding it in a similar fashon. Basically install the images on the mountable media of your choice (fault tolerant or not, local or remote). So my idea was to get it installled to the CF in a ro filesystem , make a special rw partion on the CF or use a remote mounted rw file system to store the writeable configs and logs (or ramdisk) and finally point proxmox to the location of my vm image files. Am I making sense?

As fast storage is a quite important part I see no advantage not using local hard disk (local RAID). we will also support remote storage like iSCSI as an additional option in future. So I just see a lot of problems and no advantage using CF instead of fast, reliable local storage. Do I miss anything?

So what should be my targeted setup style be based on the development path, for proxmox to be used over multiple servers and with redundancy in mind? A cluster of servers with hardware disk redundancy and lots of ram and cpu, and plan to take many snapshots?

So what should be my targeted setup style be based on the development path, for proxmox to be used over multiple servers and with redundancy in mind? A cluster of servers with hardware disk redundancy and lots of ram and cpu, and plan to take many snapshots?

Basically it is always a good idea to have a least 2 Proxmox VE server. Your hardware for Proxmox VE in a production environment should look like this (or better):

• Dual Quadcore CPU
  • 8 GB RAM (the more the better)
  • Raid10, SAS hdd´s, Raidcontroller with BBU
  • 2 NIC´s - GBIT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!