Install Proxmox with GNOME Desktop Environment?

emmanuel

Dec 5, 2017
Since proxmox is based off debian, is it possible to install the latest version of proxmox with a desktop environment? Can you post links on how to do it as well? Since debian barebones-wise has a "graphic install" option however I do not see that when installing proxmox, thanks in advance for the replies!

Since proxmox is based off debian, is it possible to install the latest version of proxmox with a desktop environment?

sure

Can you post links on how to do it as well?

You need to use the debian package management tool, for example

# apt-get install gnome

sure

You need to use the debian package management tool, for example

# apt-get install gnome
oh just that? i thought you would like go through a source install or something, many thanks! :)

My challenge is that the pve-root partition takes up like just 5GB out of the 24GB in my appliance that I am testing this out on, I might run into the "out of disk space" error :eek:

Reactions: emmanuel
It is also possible to install Debian using the normal Debian installer, and install the proxmox packages afterwards:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch

That way you have full control ...

Thanks a million! Will try that route, right now I was able to install Proxmox then GNOME but the issue I am having right now is it shows a blank screen when doing teamviewer. Out of the scope of this original thread anyways. Consider this thread solved, thanks dietmar!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!