Install ProxMox on new hardware

Hi I have a proxmox installe don a I7 cpu.

I think the easiest way to test is to test a live linux cd.
If it works I guess you have a fair change.

I cna not say for sure if it will be workign but then I would try an install.

My Proxmox install is on a minimal Debian.

Reg

Ole

Hello,

I not want troll but try MSI (i have Z77A-GD65 + I7 + 32 Go DDR and no problem with Proxmox).

I am using MSI motherboards since many years and never problems unlike ASUS motherboards.

Proxmox should work fine on ANY motherboard with a Z77 chipset.

We have tested it extensively on several Intel and ASUS motherboards with H67, Q67, Z68 and Q77 chipsets, Core i5-2500K, i7-2600 and i7-3770 processors, with 8, 16, 24 and 32 GB of RAM. All configurations worked fine.

There are two problems that we encountered:

Adaptec / ASUS BIOS problem
ASUS motherboards permanently lose their memory and processor overclock function when a modern Adaptec RAID controller (in our case the 6805E) is plugged into them, so we have to run our ASUS P8Q77 / i7-3770 setup with DDR3-1333 instead of (the otherwise fully supported) DDR3-1600. The Adaptec controller also killed an ASUS Z68 motherboard. Apart from that issue, the controller works fine.

Q77 remote installation problem
If you plan to install Proxmox from a remotely mounted DVD image via Intel AMT, the installation will take a VERY long time (about 1 hour), filling the screen with SATA errors. Fortunately the installs completed successfully every time, but if you are in a hurry use a local DVD drive. This happened on both ASUS and Intel boards, so we suspect it's a Debian issue on the Q77 vPro chipset.

I have a Core i7-7700, ASUS H170-PRO RTL after installing proxmox on debian with xfce4 does not start lightdm, installation, reinstallation does not, and accordingly in containers also x-server does not start. I understand this is a problem with the new hardware, will it work in the 5th version?

you'd need to find out why lightdm does not start.. (first I would check the journal). X in containers is something that is not really, if you want a full fletched virtual desktop environment, run a VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!