[SOLVED] Install NVIDIA Drivers

Sep 9, 2021
Hello,
I am trying to use this how-to for my Plex LXC.

While seems a good how-to ... it does not describe how to install the host driver.
As a result I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.86.run from Nvidia site.

After bypassing a few other issues ... I got an error that my GC is not the same used for the kernel.
Last attempt was to try like this ...
CC=gcc-8.3.0 ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.86.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.98-1-pve/
however now I have this error:

ERROR: The CC sanity check failed: The C compiler 'gcc-8.3.0' does not appear to be able to create object files. Please make sure you have your Linux distribution's libc development package installed and that 'gcc-8.3.0' is a valid C compiler name.

Can anyone help ?
Thank you!

The current driver (which should support up through Kernel 5.13) is 495.44. Start there. Also, you don't need "--kernel-source-path" or any other flags when installing on the host. Just run ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run. You need to install the same driver on the host as in the LXC containers. In the containers use the no kernel flag.

The current driver (which should support up through Kernel 5.13) is 495.44. Start there. Also, you don't need "--kernel-source-path" or any other flags when installing on the host. Just run ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run. You need to install the same driver on the host as in the LXC containers. In the containers use the no kernel flag.
If I dont specify the kernel I get this:
1636731405396.png

That is strange. I have never received that message. You do have kernel headers installed, correct?

apt install -y -q pve-headers

Did you install any nVidia or cuda drivers from repos before? Is this a clean install of proxmox or was it converted from Debian to PVE?

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.56.04 AM.png

Last edited:
That is strange. I have never received that message. You do have kernel headers installed, correct?

Did you install any nVidia or cuda drivers from repos before? Is this a clean install of proxmox or was it converted from Debian to PVE?

View attachment 31318
I did try before .. I belive noveau drivers ... but failed miserable :)
The Nvidia installer told me at the beggining he will inactivate noveau ..... and it seems it did as I dont get that warning/error anymore.
I have the headers installed from last time, but I will try again ... I assume I need to restart ... I will be able to do that later as my kids play minecraft now :)

View attachment 31318
I am afraid I get the same as last time:
PS: It was a clean install ... but I tried noveau before ...

1636749866700.png

Last edited:
Code:
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.98-1-pve/
as ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run did not work asking for kernel path

5.11.22-7-pve
Code:
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.98-1-pve/
as ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run did not work asking for kernel path

You said your kernel is 5.11.22-4. Why are you pointing to kernel headers for 5.4.98-1? Your kernel and kernel headers need to match. Make sure all your packages and kernels are up to date. At present, Proxmox is on 5.11.22-7-pve.

Last edited:
You said your kernel is 5.11.22-4. Why are you pointing to kernel headers for 5.4.98-1? Your kernel and kernel headers need to match. Make sure all your packages and kernels are up to date. At present, Proxmox is on 5.11.22-7-pve.
Hmm,
It seems this is the last headers I had at the time I started ...

If I look in src I see this:
1636750561296.png

On the other side I get this:
1636750690587.png

If I run with the 5.11 it does not work .. as i have only 5.4 headers ...

Something has gotten weird on your host. Try:

apt-get -q update && apt install -y -q pve-headers-5.11 pve-kernel-5.11 && apt-get -y -q dist-upgrade
Ok, now I have 5.11.22-5-pve and the same header version.
Also now I could run the command without the kernel path ... so there is progress :)
However I still get the gcc version error .. :(

PS: .. and thanks for your patience :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!