Install KVM on NFS mount

darinschmidt

Jun 23, 2012
I cant seem to find an answer to this but i try to install a VM, not a CT, and install it on a NFS mount. For instance, i have the Hard drive point to the NFS mount, an ISO that it loads which is on the same ZFS drive and when installing centOS6 it live boots and such but once it gets the the point of copying media form the CD to load to the hard disk it chokes and says that there is an error installing live media to the hard disk. this could be do to bad media.

But if i install it to local, its ok. But from everything i have read, only the CT's cant be installed on anything other than local. Or am i wrong?

I have FreeNAS 7x installed on a separate server. it is set to allow all but backups. I set the hard drive storage to the ZFS nfs that was made on the freenas server, it formats the 300g i designated to it, then goes to copy the live image to the hard drive and fails. This even happens when i tried Ubuntu. I have checked the md5's of the disks and they are good.

I'm testing Freenas at home with proxmox. It is the latest release 8.0.4 . The storage is zfs .

Nfs and iscsi on freenas 8 work good with kvm.

openvz did not work when I tried..

You may want to try 8.0.4 . From what I remember reading, an upgrade in place can't be done. But I'd bet there are good instructions on switching to version 8 .

I think bsd and zfs make for stable network storage , and freenas documentation is really good.

i tried freenas 8 and had nothing but trouble but that was a few weeks ago, im guessing they came out with a more stable release?

i'll give 8 a try again
OK - after you get it going post here if nfs help is needed.

NFS was easy to set up .. there were just a few adjustments to make and I've got notes on those .

iscsi was a 10+- step process and harder to set up then nfs. iscsi's advantage is the proxmox snapshot backup can be used. But we'll use zfs snapshots to backup kvm on nfs.

zfs is a lot more mature / stable on freebsd then linux..

ok i installed freenas8, got my zfs shared via nfs set the permission to user root group wheel. same thing happens.

here are quick notes, I have to leave computer for awhile:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/NFS
1 Services > NFS : set up server . run this command 1-st:
sysctl -n kern.smp.cpus
use no more then the output of that command in Number of Servers.
and choose Asynchronous .

and for the share:
All Directories : select it on
Mapall User to root.

ok, did the command, set it to 2, enabled async. tried it again and it gets to 19% copying OS to hard drive and says something is wrong with the installation media. maybe i'll retry installing proxmox and let you know how that goes.

Thanks Rob and Deit, seems that a reinstall did the trick. Not sure how things got messed up before because the only thing i did to proxmox was the aptitude upgdate and upgrade.

ok, yes, the reinstall of proxmox worked and successfully installed the kvm centos64 onto the nfs zfs drive

re installing proxmox should have nothing at all to do with the solution.

next time try

1- remove the nfs storage from pve web page.

2- from cli , run 'df ' . if the nfs share you removed from pve is still mounted, then umount it

3- add the nfs share.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!