install help

Fabbe

Oct 25, 2023
Hello!

I wan't to download proxmox on my server but I still wan't to have access to windows. Should I install proxmox on a hdd and windows on sdd to be able to access both or how should I do?

Thanks

Hi Fabbe,

Welcome to the forum!

Do I understand correctly that you have MS Windows on your server? Is it running 'server duty', or is it a computer for playing and learning?

Should I install proxmox on a hdd and windows on sdd
You mean HDD and SSD, don't you? I _think_ Proxmox has more benefit of an SSD.

If you want to have access to both at the same time, you would first install Proxmox, and then make a VM in Proxmox and install Windows in the VM.

or how should I do?
Do you have some prior experience with installing operating systems on a computer? Before you continue, is there any important data on your computer?

Hi Fabbe,

Welcome to the forum!

Hi WDK
Thanks for the welcome and reply to my post

Do I understand correctly that you have MS Windows on your server? Is it running 'server duty', or is it a computer for playing and learning?
What I mean is that I have Windows 10 on my pc and now it just like a normal pc but I wan’t to make a server out of it.

You mean HDD and SSD, don't you? I _think_ Proxmox has more benefit of an SSD.

If you want to have access to both at the same time, you would first install Proxmox, and then make a VM in Proxmox and install Windows in the VM.
What I mean is that I have storage on my computer 256gb SSD and 1TB HDD. I would like to have proxmox for VM but other programs to stream movies, run minecraft/cs2 servers and more. That is why I want to have proxmox on one HDD drive and Windows on SSD drive. I am not sure that will work and that is why I ask here.

Do you have some prior experience with installing operating systems on a computer? Before you continue, is there any important data on your computer?

I only have experience in installing Windows os and I installed proxmox one time.I do not have any important data.

Sorry if I have not so good english but I hope you can understand.

Thanks

Sorry if I have not so good english but I hope you can understand.
Clear enough :)

I would like to have proxmox for VM but other programs to stream movies,
I like Proxmox a lot, but maybe it is more than you need. In basics, Proxmox is a program to give you easy access to virtualization features on a Linux computer.

You would run virtualization if you want to run multiple computers at the same time, without having multiple computers in your room. Many programs do not need a computer all to themselves: I can easily run a couple of Minetest servers and a mediaserver on my (Linux) desktop, while watching a movie. All without virtualization.

If the services you want to run come as a complete ISO for download (for example, a ready made Minecraft server), they claim the whole (virtual) computer. Without virtualization you have to chose to install the one or the other. Here Proxmox comes in. Now you can run your computer as usual, with Proxmox (= Linux) as operating system. In the Proxmox GUI you can tell that you want to run an ISO, preferably in a container, or in a VM if it is not Linux based.

Because Proxmox is 'just Debian Linux', you _could_ install a lightweight desktop environment (LXDE for example), and use your computer as a regular computer while running Proxmox in the background. _Of course_ you would not want to do this on the main production server of your company. I understand that you are playing around with your only computer, this way you'd have a desktop environment where you can browse the internet and search for help, while you can configure Proxmox at the same time. If you did dual boot with Windows, you would boot Proxmox, have a question, boot into Windows, search for information, remember it, boot to Proxmox, try it out, and so on.

Good luck!

Reactions: jhawk2k20
Okay so if I understand this correctly I could run proxmox on my old computer and then run vms where i could run minecraft servers, watch downloaded movies and store data from my new pc? To access my vms I do that over a webbrowser on my main pc. I also wan't vms to run linux where I could learn about it security.

Thanks

Hi, I am brand new to Proxmox, however, I am not new to programming, Linux, Virtualization, and Containerization, etc. So I read this quickly and I just wanted to share how I do what you are doing personally and how well it works, fantastic! It did take me some time to learn because there was little to no info on how to properly do this how I wanted to for the bedrock edition of Minecraft under the format I wanted to use, and I tried many many setups and layouts and I hope this helps as if someone had given me these exact steps Id have been golden. Please just reply if you want me to further assist you with scripts and any questions you may have, but this works amazing for me!

Ok, so you would want to run a windows 10 or 11 host, and setup virtualbox, with the extiention pack for 64-bit iso's. I found that Zorin Linux as a VM is generally quite snappy for me even with the full desktop gui and widows features built in.

So install virtualbox, and add any Linux Distro of choice i find it best for MC servers to run off Ubuntu based vm's. I use Zorin, even PopOS but always the lighter versions.. (if you need further steps or help just ask).

When setting up your Linux VM, make sure you allocate at least 4GB or ram if possible, it won't use the maximum amount if it doesnt need it, I have a 24 core cpu, so I give it 6 cores, but 2 or 3 would probably work fine. Just make sure when you go to you networking setup for the VM you use bridged instead of NAT, this will share network with your host pc yet give it another IP address should you need to port forward or anything like that. Also, setup however much drive space you may need, 60gb is not unreasonable and will avoid issues around storage.

when done click finish and start the linux vm and set it up as a normal os.

launch a terminal, and type
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
# enter password or what i do is type sudo su and enter password before anything else and this avoids typiing sudo constantly, so im leaving out sudo, if you don't want to run as root then add sudo before each command
cd /home/<name of user or any directory you want>
mkdir minecraft
cd minecraft
# there are 2 ways to do this, you can bare metal for a vm.. lol, or I use a docker container which works better for me
# Run Server in VM as is, steps are the same for bedrock and java.
# navigate to the Minecraft.net server download website and just search for java or bedrock to get the right address.
# once there, you will see the windows server option on the left, and the ubuntu version on the left, click the Ubuntu/Linux download button with a right click and copy address
# NOTE: do this from a browser in your VM, so copy/paste options are not an issue
# return to terminal
wget <shift + insert, or ctrl + shift + v to paste the address> hit enter!
<hit the up arrow to bring back the wget command with the address which will have a long url with xxxxx/bedrock-server/xxx.zip at the end. move cursor back to the beginning of the name of the .zip file and backspace all of the rest of the line so that just the xxxxxx.zip file downloaded is showing.>
unzip file.zip (where file is server downloaded.zip and hit enter)
rm *.zip (optional, removes the zip file as its not needed after the unzip)
nano mcserver.sh (this will bring up a text editor)
(while in nano on top line)#!/bin/bash <enter 2x>
./bedrock_server
ctrl + x
Y
enter

<now back in terminal, type> chmod +x mcserver.sh
apt install libcurl4-openssl-dev
nano server.properties <adjust all things you see you feel safe modifying, but at the very bottom add:>emit-server-telemetry=true
crtl + x
Y
enter

./mcserver.sh #don't forget to add the ./ and that's it you are running a server from a vm

=====================================

for better resullts, run as a docker container

apt install docker.io -y
docker pull ubunti:latest
docker image ls

#look for ubuntu and there is an image ID string. Normally using the first 3 alpha num characters will work for next step otherwise copy image number in full

docker run -it --net=host (first 3 of image, example cb6 or cb6e89d0cldi or whatever the image is)
enter

now in a container you must do this again because needs updating and simple program installs

apt update && apt upgrade -y
apt install wget nano unzip
now follow same steps as above from downloading the or copying the minecraft server link ... All steps are the same from there but will be isolated from everything else in runtime, however, go into minecraft even on your host machine, and in friends tab you should see a 1, that is your virtual minecraft server running!

I like this because I use snapshots so I never lose or my kids never lose progreee should i ever need to power down the vm

Also, I do alot of linux practice with minecraft server running and whatever else i want and its very helpful. it seems like a lot but its not. Best luck. (I don't think proxmox is even really needed for this tbh)

Reactions: wbk
Hi, I am brand new to Proxmox, however, I am not new to programming, Linux, Virtualization, and Containerization, etc. So I read this quickly and I just wanted to share how I do what you are doing personally and how well it works, fantastic! It did take me some time to learn because there was little to no info on how to properly do this how I wanted to for the bedrock edition of Minecraft under the format I wanted to use, and I tried many many setups and layouts and I hope this helps as if someone had given me these exact steps Id have been golden. Please just reply if you want me to further assist you with scripts and any questions you may have, but this works amazing for me!

Ok, so you would want to run a windows 10 or 11 host, and setup virtualbox, with the extiention pack for 64-bit iso's. I found that Zorin Linux as a VM is generally quite snappy for me even with the full desktop gui and widows features built in.

So install virtualbox, and add any Linux Distro of choice i find it best for MC servers to run off Ubuntu based vm's. I use Zorin, even PopOS but always the lighter versions.. (if you need further steps or help just ask).

When setting up your Linux VM, make sure you allocate at least 4GB or ram if possible, it won't use the maximum amount if it doesnt need it, I have a 24 core cpu, so I give it 6 cores, but 2 or 3 would probably work fine. Just make sure when you go to you networking setup for the VM you use bridged instead of NAT, this will share network with your host pc yet give it another IP address should you need to port forward or anything like that. Also, setup however much drive space you may need, 60gb is not unreasonable and will avoid issues around storage.

when done click finish and start the linux vm and set it up as a normal os.

launch a terminal, and type
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
# enter password or what i do is type sudo su and enter password before anything else and this avoids typiing sudo constantly, so im leaving out sudo, if you don't want to run as root then add sudo before each command
cd /home/<name of user or any directory you want>
mkdir minecraft
cd minecraft
# there are 2 ways to do this, you can bare metal for a vm.. lol, or I use a docker container which works better for me
# Run Server in VM as is, steps are the same for bedrock and java.
# navigate to the Minecraft.net server download website and just search for java or bedrock to get the right address.
# once there, you will see the windows server option on the left, and the ubuntu version on the left, click the Ubuntu/Linux download button with a right click and copy address
# NOTE: do this from a browser in your VM, so copy/paste options are not an issue
# return to terminal
wget <shift + insert, or ctrl + shift + v to paste the address> hit enter!
<hit the up arrow to bring back the wget command with the address which will have a long url with xxxxx/bedrock-server/xxx.zip at the end. move cursor back to the beginning of the name of the .zip file and backspace all of the rest of the line so that just the xxxxxx.zip file downloaded is showing.>
unzip file.zip (where file is server downloaded.zip and hit enter)
rm *.zip (optional, removes the zip file as its not needed after the unzip)
nano mcserver.sh (this will bring up a text editor)
(while in nano on top line)#!/bin/bash <enter 2x>
./bedrock_server
ctrl + x
Y
enter

<now back in terminal, type> chmod +x mcserver.sh
apt install libcurl4-openssl-dev
nano server.properties <adjust all things you see you feel safe modifying, but at the very bottom add:>emit-server-telemetry=true
crtl + x
Y
enter

./mcserver.sh #don't forget to add the ./ and that's it you are running a server from a vm

=====================================

for better resullts, run as a docker container

apt install docker.io -y
docker pull ubunti:latest
docker image ls

#look for ubuntu and there is an image ID string. Normally using the first 3 alpha num characters will work for next step otherwise copy image number in full

docker run -it --net=host (first 3 of image, example cb6 or cb6e89d0cldi or whatever the image is)
enter

now in a container you must do this again because needs updating and simple program installs

apt update && apt upgrade -y
apt install wget nano unzip
now follow same steps as above from downloading the or copying the minecraft server link ... All steps are the same from there but will be isolated from everything else in runtime, however, go into minecraft even on your host machine, and in friends tab you should see a 1, that is your virtual minecraft server running!

I like this because I use snapshots so I never lose or my kids never lose progreee should i ever need to power down the vm

Also, I do alot of linux practice with minecraft server running and whatever else i want and its very helpful. it seems like a lot but its not. Best luck. (I don't think proxmox is even really needed for this tbh)
Hi! Thanks for the well informed instruction to get a minecraft server and I think this would really help me! But if I understand this correctly I should not use proxmox and only use windows with virtual box? Do you have any experience with nas on virtualbox virutal machines?

Last edited:
should not use proxmox and only use windows with virtual box
@jhawk2k20 's (easy to follow!) instructions don't say you should not use Proxmox; I read it as "Proxmox is not needed for Minecraft".

I think the things you mentioned could easily run on a computer with Debian installed. Also without virtualization or containerization, either from Windows to Linux via Virtualbox, or from Linux to Windows via Proxmox (which uses KVM/QEMU for VMs).

Remember that everything you virtualize, always has a cost/benefit balance. If you can do away with virtual machines, it leaves you with more resources for the actual programs that you want to run. So in the example of Minecraft, if you can chose between running (heavy) Windows + VM with (not so heavy) Debian + Minecraft versus Debian + Minecraft, the last option obviously leaves you with more resources for Minecraft.

When you run "things on Linux", you can get 'almost free' virtualization with LXC containers. In the same Minecraft example, you'd run (not so heavy) Debian + CT with (~half of not so heavy) Debian + Minecraft, and follow JHawk's instructions.

You could then proceed to create another container and install Openmediavault, for example, as a NAS.

You could install everything directly on 'bare metal' Debian, and save some resources. But in that case, if there is something in Minetest that makes your server behave badly, you'd need to troubleshoot in connection with all other programs, and when you reboot for Minecraft, everything goes down with it.

Conversely, if you use containers, you can just troubleshoot the single container and restart it seperately from the rest. Your NAS will stay available, as will other services.

The fun thing is: you can just try it out and experiment. Even if it doesn't work out to your taste, you might lose a weekend, but you'll gain some insight and learn for the next weekend :)

Hi! Thanks for the well informed instruction to get a minecraft server and I think this would really help me! But if I understand this correctly I should not use proxmox and only use windows with virtual box? Do you have any experience with nas on VirtualBox virutal machines?
Hello, Most certainly I dont mind with the minecraft instructions, its just one of several ways to run it(or 2 technically). As far as NAS on VirtualBox, the most I have really done is use it to access files from my host to containers and vice versa, I have 2 NAS home built one running TRUENAS scale and one running CORE, It's the easiest way to have a go between and if you set both host and guest to download to same network nas folder it helps. other than that, I have honestly not used any NAS in a VE. I do like the answer and suggestion made by @wdk! I will absolutely play with that! I will also virtualize a NAS as I have a setup already to be a NAS, a PC, or whatever I want, but i was thinking highly on ProxMox as I know a few very intelligent people that swear by it, Im just used to Truenas and virtualizing certain OSs from it but with both of them being quad core w/o ht i have not had a lot of optioins until now!

@jhawk2k20 's (easy to follow!) instructions don't say you should not use Proxmox; I read it as "Proxmox is not needed for Minecraft".

I think the things you mentioned could easily run on a computer with Debian installed. Also without virtualization or containerization, either from Windows to Linux via Virtualbox, or from Linux to Windows via Proxmox (which uses KVM/QEMU for VMs).

Remember that everything you virtualize, always has a cost/benefit balance. If you can do away with virtual machines, it leaves you with more resources for the actual programs that you want to run. So in the example of Minecraft, if you can chose between running (heavy) Windows + VM with (not so heavy) Debian + Minecraft versus Debian + Minecraft, the last option obviously leaves you with more resources for Minecraft.

When you run "things on Linux", you can get 'almost free' virtualization with LXC containers. In the same Minecraft example, you'd run (not so heavy) Debian + CT with (~half of not so heavy) Debian + Minecraft, and follow JHawk's instructions.

You could then proceed to create another container and install Openmediavault, for example, as a NAS.

You could install everything directly on 'bare metal' Debian, and save some resources. But in that case, if there is something in Minetest that makes your server behave badly, you'd need to troubleshoot in connection with all other programs, and when you reboot for Minecraft, everything goes down with it.

Conversely, if you use containers, you can just troubleshoot the single container and restart it seperately from the rest. Your NAS will stay available, as will other services.

The fun thing is: you can just try it out and experiment. Even if it doesn't work out to your taste, you might lose a weekend, but you'll gain some insight and learn for the next weekend :)
I totally agree, awesome answer and you read me right. My question is i tried Debian 12, and I really did not like it at all. There were so many permission problems that i just didn't havet time to go in and fix. I am not partial to just debian or ubuntu, though spinoffs are my preference, as I really am only comfortable using apt packages, Changing repos or adding apt i suppose would be not very hard, I just havent done it yet. Linux is so powerful and so simple, but can get so deep and crazy I love it.. How is the passthru for gpu and usb on proxxmox? would it be better than virtualbox and similar? Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!