Install Failed

cjkeeme

Oct 28, 2009
I had Proxmox test running on this brand new 2970 in a Raid 1. I then added 2 more drives and destroyed the Raid 1 configuration and built a Raid 10. The install went great. I then messed something up (not quite sure what), but everything broke.

No problem, just testing afterall, so I decided to reload Proxmox. Now I receive a "Installation Failed!" message and this error box pops up:

Code:
command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure - a' failed with exit code 2 at /usr/bin/proxinstal line 151.

If I press CTRL-ALT-F2 I see this on the last 4 lines:
Code:
Setting up libblockfile1 (1.08-3)
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
unable to fsync updated status of 'liblockfile1': Input/output error
command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure - a' failed with exit code 2 at /usr/bin/proxinstal line 151.

I then rebuilt the Raid 10 just in case something went wrong there and burned another CD and tried that with the same error. What am I doing wrong?

try installing another os as a test - I doubt this is proxmox specific. If debian stable loads - and proxmox doesn't something is going on- but prove it - it only take like 10-15 minutes to to the iso base system install.

-Adrian

I just installed CentOS 5 without any problems on the same machine. I'm $2300 in the hole on this 2970 if I can't get Proxmox to work.

Before installing CentOS I tried Proxmox again. I re-downloaded the ISO and burned to image. Same symptoms occurred, but this time it got to 90% complete before fail where as before it only made it to 83%. What should I try next?

I'm very confused.

I destroyed the Raid 10 and went for Raid 5 with the same drives and had no problems installing Proxmox this time. The Raid 10 configuration worked fine with CentOS/Asterisk, but fails with Proxmox.

What should I be checking? I suppose the question may be more of how should I check the drives? The Raid controller reports everything as optimal.

Last edited:
What should I be checking? I suppose the question may be more of how should I check the drives? The Raid controller reports everything as optimal.

Most disk vendors provides some test utilities. Also, run memtest to verify that RAM is OK (grub boot option).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!