Install Errors: ohci_irq_handler 1394 nobody cared

OsloFats

Oct 5, 2009
I'm not sure if this is a bug in the kernel compilation in ProxMox or if this is something I can resolve on my end. Help?

First off, ProxMox installed perfect on a test box, which I used to evaluate the distro using 1.4 beta2. Very nice.

But then I went to install on my server to eventually put in production. Used the same 1.4 beta2 CD and after hitting enter to boot install, ProxMox stalled and eventually outputted and kept repeating:

ata10.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata10.01: cmd: a0/00:00:00:24:00/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 pio 36 in

Then I downloaded ProxMox Version 1.3 and it had the same error. BTW, clicking F2 for more output shows nothing on the screen - event seems unresponsive.

I then installed Debian Lenny 5.03-AMD64 and all installed fine. After install I used the pvetest images, re-loaded grub and re-booted. I could reboot back into Lenny okay (kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64) but booting into proxmox stalled (kernel 2.6.24-8-pve). Output showed:

ir 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option) Handlers: [<ffffffff88048421>] (ohci_irq_handler+0x0/0x930 [ohci1394])
Disabling IRQ #19
ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
ata9.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
ata10.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
ata10.01: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40)
(the following 3 lines repeated - notice they are the same in the proxmox installer above)
ata10.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata10.01: cmd: a0/00:00:00:24:00/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 pio 36 in

(and at one point I got --- maybe from my alt-ctrl-delete)
ata10: WARNING: synchronous SCSI scan failed without making any progress, trying to mount root:/dev/sda1
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/failed: No such device or address
(a number of other errors)
Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

At this point, I I killed the program and rebooted into Lenny and plugged "irqpoll" in grub's defoption and regenerated grub. Before the irq19: nobody cared error, I know have the output " BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 11s! [kstopmachine: 1093]

In Lenny I also installed the 1.3 proxmox image and booted it - same error.

Thanks for any help and hope you can follow this.

Jaret

That worked. I disabled firewire in the BIOS and the boot worked. Thank you. I had thought about recompiling the kernel and taking out firewire support but this is lots easier. Was a long night or else I might have thought of it. Thank you again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!