Install Docker on core Proxmox or as a VM?

fbeye

Jan 19, 2023
Hi there, in my situation, my Prommox is just the system in which I run my VM's for their purposes but wanted to install Docker for a good 5-10 containers.. Would it be suggested to run docker on the core Prox or would it be wise to keep it separate and in a VM?

Separated in a VM for full isolation. You will mess with the firewall (and potentially a lot more) if you run it on your PVE host.
And please search the forum ... this question gets asked (and answered) a lot!

would it be wise to keep it separate and in a VM?
Bear in mind that a full VM would use more resources, whereas a LXC based on, for example , Debian 12 template with Docker installed would be highly efficient especially with lots of RAM...in my case, I have mine with 25GB

Just use a VM. Easier and still lightweight. Been doing it for years, works great. Pass through resources if needed.

Bear in mind that a full VM would use more resources, whereas a LXC based on, for example , Debian 12 template with Docker installed would be highly efficient especially with lots of RAM...in my case, I have mine with 25GB
The overhead of a fully-fledged VM in comparison to an LX(C) container is negligible if you have more than e.g. 8 GB of RAM. The OS (e.g Debian) itself just uses just about 192 MB of additional RAM for the kernel and you get FULL ISOLATION. It's a no-brainer and you do not have any dependencies on PVE or its kernel as you would have with LX(C) containers.

The overhead of a fully-fledged VM in comparison to an LX(C) container is negligible if you have more than e.g. 8 GB of RAM. The OS (e.g Debian) itself just uses just about 192 MB of additional RAM for the kernel and you get FULL ISOLATION. It's a no-brainer and you do not have any dependencies on PVE or its kernel as you would have with LX(C) containers.
Good to know...now, my plan is paused for rethinking. My plan was to run Docker with autoGPT or a built version, as well as other containers, example, Docker-samba, DNS server, Portainer, Home assistant, NAS, NTP-GPS. I have nothing to passthrough except if I go the VM route, maybe a USB port.

I see that there is a template for Apline; so, I would most likely choose that...would you recommend? Thank you for your feedback.

one that solves the problem best (e.g. a Docker-centric OS, e.g. Rancher)
Thank you for introducing me to Rancher and I discovered there is a Rancher-PVE iso...I really appreciate the change in direction especially when it was unexpected...awesome!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!