Install disk doesn't detect disks connected to IBM M1015

ReekyMarko

Jul 3, 2018
Espoo, Finland
www.reekynet.com
Hi all, I thought I'd try here also, since I've narrowed this down quite a bit and I'm 90% sure this is either a kernel bug or an issue with the Proxmox installer.

So, as the title says, my disks are not detected when trying to install Proxmox. They are connected to an IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode and everything is working just fine (FreeBSD detects the disks). I get an error on boot that is related to the driver the card is using:

mpt2sas_cm0: unable to map adapter memory! or recource not found

mpt2sas_cm0: failure at drivers/scsi/mpt3sas_scsih.c:10734/scsih_probe()!

I found a user of unraid with a similar issue and they suggested to add `mpt3sas.msix_disable=1` as a boot parameter, but I had no luck with that. I set the boot parameter by typing "de" at the Proxmox boot menu and adding it to the end of the "linux" line and then pressing F10. Either I did this wrong or the fix didn't work for me

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been battling with this new card for almost a week now

Seriously, is this just a stupid question, is it not clear what I'm asking or is it just that no one is able to help? I've absolutely exhausted all of my resources and knownledge during the last week and I'm out of ideas. I would really like my server back :)

Hi,
Just wondering if you ever resolved this problem? I have 3 x (almost identical) Proxmox servers. All were running well, but after an update ONE of them is showing exactly the problem you describe. In my case the servers don't boot from ZFS - they just mount it as zfs-local storeage ...so at least the server still boots - but I've lost the ZFS storage. I'd like to either recover the ZFS (rpool) or delete and re-install.

Please post the complete log/dmesg with the error - also a quick search suggests, that changing the PCIe - Slot of the controller might help, or maybe try adding pci=realloc=off to the commandline (untested).

if you don't need the controller for startup you could also try to remove and reinsert the kernel module

Hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!