[SOLVED] initrd.img-5.4.41-1-pve so big

mazzo08

May 26, 2020
Hello

I have run

Code:
lsinitramfs -l /boot/initrd.img-5.4.41-1-pve

to see what is in initrd.img-5.4.41-1-pve and it contains /etc/lvm/archive (in my case + 1GB)

However it is problematic because with 30 CT and 6 snapshots per CT, this makes me initrd.img-5.4.41-1-pve at more than 150 MB.

Is it possible to exclude these archives?

Last edited:
/etc/lxc/archive
do you maybe mean /etc/lvm/archive?

if yes - check the comments in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf (search for 'archive') - you can set some variable (e.g. where the archive should be stored and how many old versions per vg should be kept)
(see also https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=885273)

if no - what is inside '/etc/lxc/archive'?!

I hope this helps!

Yes "lvm" sorry :)

I change the "retain_days" option to decrease the size of the initramfs, I remove manually the old backups, and it's work.

Maybe one or two lines to do this in the official doc ? :)

Thanks !

Glad that worked!

Maybe one or two lines to do this in the official doc ?
hmm - we try to keep the docs tailored to the specifics of PVE - and it is well documented in the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf - meaning I'm a bit reluctant to add this to our docs - since we would then need to keep track of changes in the used software.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!