Increasing RAM of a container

jlan421

Sep 8, 2010
Is there a way to increase memory of a container using the admin gui or through command line? From the web UI, i went to Virtual Machine, selected the container and increased the memory field, hit save then restart the container but still showing the same memory amount.

Also, i tried doing it in the command line (PVE - host OS) with these commands:
vzctl set vpsid --vmguarpages $((256 * 1024)) --save
vzctl set vpsid --privvmpages $((256 * 2048)) --save

restarted container, but to no avail. I am running PVE 1.5 and the container is Ubuntu 8.04-3 amd64

Thanks for the help.

using the gui is the way to go. how did you create the container? with pve or did you a migration?

Sorry for the confusion, new to Proxmox, here is what I tested and seems to be working, don't know if this is always the case.

Used web UI to adjust RAM configuration, put 512 in memory and 512 in swap. when logged in to the container, and did a #free -m it shows 1024 in which i think is the sum of both RAM and swap, however when doing #swapon -s - doesn't show anything. Is this the correct behavior of openvz?

To answer Tom's question, i created this container from the web UI, also when doing the above testing, didn't have to restart the container to have the changes in effect.

Thanks,
jlan

Used web UI to adjust RAM configuration, put 512 in memory and 512 in swap. when logged in to the container, and did a #free -m it shows 1024 in which i think is the sum of both RAM and swap, however when doing #swapon -s - doesn't show anything. Is this the correct behavior of openvz?

There is no real swap inside a container (you can't use swapon). We currently simply sum up RAM and swap. In future, we will use the -swappages option, which makes 'free' to display the correct amount of swap (just to fool programs who query RAM/SWAP).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!