Inconsistent snapshots of running vm

crazy-to-bike

Dec 9, 2011
www.crazy-to-bike.de
I use Proxmox 2.0 with 2 vm: A Debian 5 server and an IPcop.
On the Debian server there are running several databases (mySQL, postgres, OpenLDAP).

The running vm are backuped with the Proxmox backup function every night, using "snapshot".

Now I heard that ist's very likely that snapshots of vm with running databases cause inconsistent backups with loss of data. If that's true, snapshots of a running vm can't be used as reliable backup.

My questions to the developers of Proxmox:
1. Do you know about this problem and is it really likely?

2. A method to avoid this would be to also dump the memory contents to the snapshot, wouldn't it? Is this realized in the snapshot function of Proxmox?

3. If Proxmox snapshots can't be considered safe, would it solve the problem using "stop" as backup mode?

Both mysql and postgres are transactional databases, so I don't think this problem exists. Worst case is that you need to run a database check. but you will never loose data.

I use Proxmox 2.0 with 2 vm: A Debian 5 server and an IPcop.
On the Debian server there are running several databases (mySQL, postgres, OpenLDAP).

The running vm are backuped with the Proxmox backup function every night, using "snapshot".

Now I heard that ist's very likely that snapshots of vm with running databases cause inconsistent backups with loss of data. If that's true, snapshots of a running vm can't be used as reliable backup.

My questions to the developers of Proxmox:

2. A method to avoid this would be to also dump the memory contents to the snapshot, wouldn't it? Is this realized in the snapshot function of Proxmox?

3. If Proxmox snapshots can't be considered safe, would it solve the problem using "stop" as backup mode?

Hi,
like Dietmar wrote are mysql and postgres very stable for this case - openldap isn't it! I use the pve-backup only for backup the basic system (once a week) and have an backup inside the vm every night (bacula). But also here, I do first an database dump. Esp. with openldap it's absolutly nessesary!!

But you can wrote your own backup-scripts, like stop db inside VM (and sync), create snapshot, start db inside VM, backup VM, remove snapshot.

Udo

Why do you think that? openldap comes with various DB back-ends, and AFAIK all of them can handle that case. Only the ldif back-end is problematic.
Hi,
due an bad experience with an broken ldap (vm) after the host had an kernel-panic. And the ldap wasn't changed at this time.

Ok, the statement openldap can handle that is to short. You have right the backend is the important factor. In this case it's was the "normal" berkeley db (hdb).

Perhaps, it's was only bad luck, but db-dumps makes sense ;)

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!