Inconsistent and random kernel panics

endlessconfig

Jun 8, 2023
I'm recently new to learning Proxmox and followed a couple YouTube guides to get a Plex (+arr) VM and an Open Media Vault VM up and running. I'm passing a ZFS into OMV, sharing a CIFS, then accessing that share in the Plex VM.

My specs are Ryzen 5 3600, Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming mobo (Updated to BIOS vers. 4402), 32 GB of G.Skill RIPJAWS V RAM. I have a strong suspicion it might be a hardware issue as I've had BSOD when it was on Windows, and crashes when it was on Ubuntu. I just need another set of eyes to confirm this suspicion, or identify what the problem could be if it's not hardware related.

So far I've had (1) BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference and (2) BUG: scheduling while atomic: CPU 1/KVM/1732/0x00000200, as well as others that I didn't write down, but can update as the crashes come in. They happen as little as 30 minutes after rebooting the machine, to 4.5 days (longest observed so far).

Last edited:
Hi,
if it's always different places where it crashes and if it happens with multiple OSes then it's very likely a hardware issue. I'd first check the memory with e.g. memtest86+ (can be run from the Proxmox VE installer ISO).

Hi,
if it's always different places where it crashes and if it happens with multiple OSes then it's very likely a hardware issue. I'd first check the memory with e.g. memtest86+ (can be run from the Proxmox VE installer ISO).
On Pass 3/4 so far, no errors. I remember testing each stick individually in the past so I don't think it's RAM. I had the mobo RMA'd a while back and they sent a 'verified QC' board, but I'm not ruling it out. It's a toss up between CPU and Mobo I'm guessing, but not sure how to test them.

E: Pass 4/4, no errors. Bought new motherboard and will post whether that fixes the issues or not.

Final Edit: Been running for a few days now, no crashing. It was the motherboard that caused it. Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!