alexinux

Aug 21, 2023
Hello all,

I saw this post back when it was version 4.x (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_a_4.x_Installation_using_a_newer_ISO_image) and I followed the steps but in the end I get the CDROM cannot be used in apt-get, to instead use apt-cdrom (which I used previously in the steps). I'm trying to get from version 7.1 and 7.4 to 8.0.3 but I'm stuck. I also read this entire post (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/upgrade-proxmox-without-internet.53744/) and they mentioned a bug while installing from CDROM for that version/release but the fix was installing all .deb files manually (which I tried and I get dependency/will break this errors) or fixing some file's linebreaks. Is there any new guidance on how to upgrade ProxmoxVE without connection to the internet and using the ISO on a repository or burned to a CD/DVD-ROM? I get to the step where I can see:

deb cdrom:[Proxmox 8.0.3]/ bookworm pve
deb cdrom:[Proxmox 8.0.3]/proxmox/packages/ /

but after this the error is "Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

I've searched Debian and other Linux Forums to see if I can upgrade without having to erase everything and start over again but no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ProxmoxVE CDROM Update Error.jpg
    ProxmoxVE CDROM Update Error.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi alexinux!

I know it is an old thread and you might already solved this, but it might help others in the future.

I wanted to do the same thing as you, upgrade an older proxmox version to a specific stable release using the iso installer, so I can keep every machine in my cluster on the same version.
I tried to use apt-cdrom at first but that always unmounted my iso...

In the end I solved the issue by adding the iso repository as a normal local repo instead of a cdrom:

Mount the iso in a directory:
Code:
mount /root/proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso /mnt/pmx-iso -o loop
Add it to the apt sources.list file: (don't forget to change the debian release repositories if needed)
Code:
deb [trusted=yes] file:///mnt/pmx-iso/ bookworm pve

After an apt update and apt dist-upgrade, I'm successfully upgraded from 7.3 to 8.1

Reactions: leesteken
Hi alexinux!

I know it is an old thread and you might already solved this, but it might help others in the future.

I wanted to do the same thing as you, upgrade an older proxmox version to a specific stable release using the iso installer, so I can keep every machine in my cluster on the same version.
I tried to use apt-cdrom at first but that always unmounted my iso...

In the end I solved the issue by adding the iso repository as a normal local repo instead of a cdrom:

Mount the iso in a directory:
Code:
mount /root/proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso /mnt/pmx-iso -o loop
Add it to the apt sources.list file: (don't forget to change the debian release repositories if needed)
Code:
deb [trusted=yes] file:///mnt/pmx-iso/ bookworm pve

After an apt update and apt dist-upgrade, I'm successfully upgraded from 7.3 to 8.1
Thank you Kegloadam for this answer. I'm completely new to Proxmox. So I would like to know if we are able to do the upgrading offline with this approach that you explained?

Best,
Nima

yes, it should work. a more easy way would be using Proxmox Offline Mirror, since that also allows syncing Debian repos so you can install any package, not just update the predefined set.

yes, it should work. a more easy way would be using Proxmox Offline Mirror, since that also allows syncing Debian repos so you can install any package, not just update the predefined set.
Thank you Fabian, I'm reading now t he documentation for the Proxmox Offline Mirror. I appreciate it if you can also tell me it its free of charge or we must necessarily buy the license for that in order to be able to use it. Sincerely, Nima

if you want to manage the subscription keys with POM, and/or mirror the enterprise repositories for systems that have a subscription, then yes, you need a subscription for POM as well. a POM key is included with the higher tiers of PVE subscriptions, see https://proxmox.com/en/proxmox-virtual-environment/pricing or contact the shop team for details.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!