improve idle power consumption

stanos4

Jan 6, 2024
Hi all, my first post here,

as title suggests, I'd like to troubleshoot/check what is possible on decreasing my idle / baseline power consumption.
So, just a fresh install of the PVE 8.1, and added powertop, running powertop --auto-tune, results in ~5-8W (~50%) extra in comparison to e.g. fedora 39.
Thus, I'd like to check / hear suggestions how and if it's even possible to further decrease the consumption.

Tried so far:
powertop --auto-tune --> no/very minor (<~1W) visible change
powersave cpu governor --> no visible change
lspci -vv | grep ASPM --> work in progress to compare to fedora system output, but just quickly skimming through it on both systems, both have some devices/lanes/ports reported as ASPM disabled

my system:
hp 705 g4
AMD pro 3400G
8GB (non-ecc) RAM
samsung PM951 256gb nvme
1Gbit RJ45 attached

fedora running headless with no peripherals --> 10W stable (connecting with ssh makes no impact, neither really does unplugging the network)
proxmox --> 15-20W fluctuating, unplugging network saves <1W

Thank you!

Disabling all onboard components you don't need?
Maybe you can undervolt your CPU?

Proxmox probably has more stuff going on at idle. Things like updating the data for the cpu, disk, and network graphs that a blank Fedora would not be doing. It might be interesting to compare Debian Bookworm and Proxmox. That would help quantify how much is attributable to Proxmox addons so you have a baseline. Then you could try disabling services you dont need to get closer to baseline.

It might be interesting to compare Debian Bookworm and Proxmox.
thx, tried that, and it's indeed Debian itself that increases the baseline already. So I still need to do the same troubleshooting to find out how to decrease the idle.

@Dunuin - what you suggest is pretty much in place already - I'm searching to improve idle to a "known good reference" idle that I achieve pretty much out-of-box with Fedora, on the very same machine.

Or the obvious if your use case supports it, poweroff when finished process then powerup when you need to run vm's again. WOL works on my home lab fine.

well, decreasing my requirements and deciding for not building any server would improve it even more.
Now back to topic - I didn't pay attention to it at first, but there's something wrong with gpu related stuff. Trying to find out what to do with drivers/firmware, but they seem to be installed. I'm stuck at basic 1024x768 resolution, and trying to troubleshoot. This is (was) clean install of debian 12 with gnome. If I don't interrupt the boot process by selecting boot option menu, I even don't get any graphical output on 1 of the 2 displayports (didn't have this issue with fedora). So maybe it's something related...

ok, so issue was solved to a large extent. I had "wrong" setting in bios, as discussed here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=394788
changing "Option ROM settings" to "All EFI" fixed the low resolution problem, and immediately decreased power consumption by ~2W and installing powertop and tlp and running
powertop --auto-config
tlp bat

saved another few watts, so now I'm at 0-2W above fedora, i.e. on ~11W baseline, with frequent jumps to 14-16W as probably the proxmox does its magic.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!