imposible use dhcp server for virtual and physical hosts at same time.

txemi

Dec 20, 2016
I spent a lot of time with this testing real and reading forums, I would thank any hint.

Scenario:
- I wanted to split network in my home lab with ISP network and my private network that does not change with ISP changes so I added in Proxmox vmbr1 bridge to vmbr0 default bridge. I do not mind having double nat at this point.
- Both of them have phisical device network card as I have physical devices as well as virtual proxmox devices.
- In private network I spected to have a unique dhcp server delivering ips on both sides (virtual machines and physical machines)
- At this time this was imposible. I tried with virtual dhcp sever first (ipfire linux firewall distrution) and physical router later (conceptronic lan/wan router) with same result: no host on virtual network or physical network would get IPs from other side.
- At this time I have iproute on virtual side for providing ips to virtual machines and conceptrinic router on physical side for prividing ips to physical devices. This is not what I want. I want both sides to be same subnet sharing same dhcp server, better if virtual (ipfire or similar)
- I tested a lot of things, for example bridge-disable-mac-learning in case there was a mess with MAC locations.
- I need help with this becouse I really need to manage a network with virtual and physical hosts at same time.

Thank you,

you will only be able to run multi-scoped dhcp on physical devices if you have switches that support VLANs

I spent a lot of time with this testing real and reading forums, I would thank any hint.
Scenario:
- I wanted to split network in my home lab with ISP network and my private network that does not change with ISP changes so I added in Proxmox vmbr1 bridge to vmbr0 default bridge. I do not mind having double nat at this point.
- Both of them have phisical device network card as I have physical devices as well as virtual proxmox devices.
- In private network I spected to have a unique dhcp server delivering ips on both sides (virtual machines and physical machines)
- At this time this was imposible. I tried with virtual dhcp sever first (ipfire linux firewall distrution) and physical router later (conceptronic lan/wan router) with same result: no host on virtual network or physical network would get IPs from other side.
- At this time I have iproute on virtual side for providing ips to virtual machines and conceptrinic router on physical side for prividing ips to physical devices. This is not what I want. I want both sides to be same subnet sharing same dhcp server, better if virtual (ipfire or similar)
- I tested a lot of things, for example bridge-disable-mac-learning in case there was a mess with MAC locations.
- I need help with this becouse I really need to manage a network with virtual and physical hosts at same time.
Thank you,

you will only be able to run multi-scoped dhcp on physical devices if you have switches that support VLANs
But if I use only one ethernet card with proxmox on any of the networks I am testing it works as expected, virtual machines get dhcp ip from real physiscal device and I think the opposite is also true (having virtual dhcp server). The problem arises when I try to manage a second ethernet card with proxmox and use virtual ipfire firewall linux distro to nat one network to the other: virtual machines does not get IP from physical devices and real devices does not get IPs from virtual router in proxmox. Then the second interface does not seem to bridge well real and virtual networks. I was not able to discover the difference between them, I configured them the same.

I am using physical router for this untill I solve it and I can use virtual firewall. Its a pity as I wanted to remove as many physical devices as I can for this.

that's because dhcp relies on broadcast frames and these are not routable or can go through NAT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!