Importing VHD to Proxmox

ImpactStrafe

Jan 8, 2016
Using Proxmox 4.3-1
Raw disk type
2 1TB disks, 1 running proxmox, 1 for storage of VMs

I've moved my VHD over to Proxmox, converted it to a raw img file, created a VM (without starting it) navigated to the config file (see below for a copy of that file), however I can't find the pathway to replace with my img file.

Disk 2 is the second disk for VM storage, LVM type, and I can't find the file pathway to replace the disk file anywhere.

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide0: Disk-2:vm-106-disk-1,size=32G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
name: testing
net0: e1000=BA:4F:2F:22:87:1B,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 1
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=0b3e1b3c-246c-4565-9548-2576ed302dee
sockets: 2

Hi,
on an lvm-disk the VM-disk are an logical-volume (lv) - so you can't copy or move an file on the "right" place.

But you can use dd for an block-copy. Look with "vgs" + "lvs" how your vg is named and do something like this:
Code:
dd if=/path/to/vm-file.img of=/dev/disk2-vg/vm-106-disk-1 bs=1M
This takes a while and after that, you can power on your VM and delete the /path/to/vm-file.img later.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!