Imported ESXi VM performance issues

I'd try a CPU type of qemu64 - many users claim better performance than host, for a Windows VM.
Anyway, I think in your position, what I would do: Compare the config. of a fresh working Windows VM against your imported one, contrast the 2 configs & edit as appropriate.

What else is your proxmox host running? Only this one vm? Can you post screenshot of top?

I don't know what can cause this, but maybe some power management?

Few usefull commands (need to install stuff of course), which I have in my notes:
Code:
apt install i7z linux-cpupower
x86_energy_perf_policy performance
cpupower frequency-info governors
watch -n0 cpupower monitor -i2
turbostat --Summary --show Busy%,Bzy_MHz,PkgTmp,PkgWatt,GFXWatt,IRQ --interval 6

There is an LXC ubuntu container running with a couple of dockers, but that is doing basically nothing 90% of the time. I changed some stuff which I'll go into below so screenshot of top wouldn't be as relevant now I don't think. It was showing the kvm at like 200 - 225% cpu, and everything else just a couple % here and there.

Got you. But maybe "unplug" the webcam itself from the VM & try again.
That had 0 effect.

Dis you disable "core isolation" in Windows for that VM?
Yes it is disabled

Balloon off will help regardless but if its this sluggish must be something else, I wonder if you install a clean windows with nothing. Must be something with the gpu?
I did try turning off ballooning, there was no noticeable difference.

What I did find mentioned somewhere (I thought I saw a response here about it but now I don't so maybe I just read it in another thread) and seems to have actually made a difference is setting the CPU to qemu64 instead of host. I'm not sure exactly why that would matter here. All the other Windows VMs I've installed are set to host and they run great. That said, it's definitely a LOT better after this change but still not what it should be. Other windows vms that I installed are still running faster. And yes I have compared all the config options between the VMs that run great and this and have tested with them identical.

It also does not seem to be video, or at least not entirely. I still can't get my P40 vGPU to work and still have no idea why it just does Code43 in this machine, but I used a 4060 Ti I have and did a full pass through on it and it did not vastly improve performance either. What could possibly be causing the code 43 on the P40 though?? I can't dedicated a 4060 Ti to this machine lol, that is one of the entire purposes of me having a P40 to have vGPUs for machines like this that don't need a ton of graphics power.

I've gone through and uninstalled a lot of unnecessary software just to see if I can get rid of the Code43 or pin down something specifically causing performance issues, no luck there either =/

I think I finally figured out why the P40 wasn't working. Was playing around trying to get it to work and was initially able to make it work only if I added a separate display like a standard vga. But as soon as I removed that display and restarted the VM the P40 would go back to code 43. Started hunting in the registry and found some VMWare display driver entries. Deleted those out the registries and next restart the P40 vGpu is working =/

I've restarted it a few times tweaking other things and it continues to work so hopefully it wasn't just a coincidence. Although I'm not sure why those registry entries would've caused the P40 to code 43 =/

Now, with that done though... I still don't think I'm getting hardware acceleration in windows =/
nvidia-smi does show the P40 is running in WDDM mode. However, If I got to Display Settings -> Graphics -> Change Default Graphic Settings, I have no option for Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. From what I can find searching the only reason it wouldn't be there is because the GPU or driver doesn't support WDDM 2.7 or higher =/ I can't find anywhere that says what version of WDDM the driver I'm using (535) supports. I know the P40 is a little old but I never imagined it was old enough to not do hardware acceleration in windows =/ Like I was saying earlier, that is my primary purpose for having the card in the system lol.

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!