Import vmdk

powder8

Apr 25, 2021
Hy,

I'm trying to covert my VMWare VM's to Proxmox. I've copied the vmdk to the Proxmox Server an tried to import with
Code:
root@proxmox:~# qm importdisk 105 oracle_webserver_17-flat.vmdk local -format qcow2
but I get this
Code:
storage local does not support vm images
error.
44642701io.png

Can please anyone help me or give me a hint? Thanks....

Last edited:
Hi,

can you post the file "/etc/pve/storage.cfg". This might not be working because the default local storage isn't configured to allow for VM disks. You can either enable that in the GUI or use a different (more appropriate) local storage that should also be configured by default (either "local-lvm" or "local-zfs"). To do the former option, go to "Datacenter > Storage", select the "local" storage and click "Edit". There select "Disk image" in the "Content" dropdown.

Last edited:
Thans for your help.

Here you go.

Code:
root@proxmox:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images
root@proxmox:~#

Should be the same than in the pic above, I think...

In your screenshot you can see why, in the third column ('Content'). Your Storage 'local-lvm' has 'Disk image' enabled, while 'local' has not. That is the default setting, since local is a file storage and local-lvm a blockstorage.

Also, your importdisk-command sets the disk type as qcow2, which is of type file storage. So you have two options:

If you wanna stick to qcow2 you have to enable the Disk image content for local (Datacenter > Storage > Edit 'local').

The other option is to import the disk as block storage into local-lvm with
qm importdisk 105 oracle_webserver_17-flat.vmdk local-lvm

Generally the 'local' storage is used for iso-images and maybe some backups, while the local-lvm is more suited for VM disks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sterzy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!