1687052783571.png
4. I have updated the initramfs
1687052804210.png

running lspci -v, this appears to be the igpu
1687052835519.png
lspci -n -s 00:02.0
1687052910517.png
1687052942937.png

following https://blog.quindorian.org/2018/03/building-a-2u-amd-ryzen-server-proxmox-gpu-passthrough.html/
I made the driver set to vfio
1687053083261.png

The issue I have :
I built a test vm
1687053407240.png
attaching the pci device, I see nothing in drop down on mdev, I have seen other posts where the mdev type is populated, if I try to boot the VM with the pci device attached it boots but I can not ping it or access it in anyway, if I remove the device, it works as normal

What am I missing ?

Last edited:
Consider the following steps as a resolution pertaining to the Proxmox PCI Passthrough GPU issue:

1) Deselect the Primary GPU setting.

2) Reconfigure your GRUB settings as follows:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="intel_iommu=on intel_iommu=igfx_off iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1" GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Please ensure that you subsequently update your initramfs with the command:

update-initramfs -u -k all

Also, make sure to update GRUB:

update-grub

Follow these steps with a system reboot.

Here's a note specific to Intel's iGPU:

By default, the gfx device is mapped as a regular device. If a gfx device is equipped with a dedicated DMAR unit, the DMAR unit is bypassed when not enabling DMAR with this particular option. In such a situation, the gfx device will resort to using the physical address for DMA.

Greetings
Susanne

Last edited:
Makin g the change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="intel_iommu=on intel_iommu=igfx_off iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1"
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

stopped my vms from booting with can not prepare pci pass-throug, iommu not present

change back allowed me to start the vms again.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="intel_iommu=on intel_iommu=igfx_off iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1"
stopped my vms from booting with can not prepare pci pass-throug, iommu not present

change back allowed me to start the vms again.
intel_iommu=igfx_off excludes the integrated graphics from IOMMU, which would explain what you are seeing.

EDIT: I guess I was wrong about this. Maybe intel_iommu=igfx_off overwrites intel_iommu=on and I mistook it for intel_iommu=on,igfx_off.

Last edited:
Still working on this, appears I may have made a mistake originally, I have now been able to boot the other VM, but with changes I made when trying to get this to work, I have lost the device group for the cpu
1687254275117.png
so
1687254676696.png
gives me
1687254698006.png
where if I enable the code given I get iommu group as -

Last edited:
following https://3os.org/infrastructure/proxmox/gpu-passthrough/igpu-passthrough-to-vm/

I thinking I have this w orking now

1687510849624.png

1687510909822.png

I do not quite understand this part:

You will loose the ability to use the onboard graphics card to access the Proxmox's console since Proxmox won't be able to use the Intel's gpu

That means I will not be able to directly connect to my machine (cable + keyboard) if something is wrong and I can not ssh to it?

Reactions: Minionguyjpro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!